alittle help..

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

alittle help..

Postby New guy » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:32 pm

hi,
I've been climbing for a year now and just moved to halifax. I'm still an unemployed university grad so I can't afford those pricey gym memberships. I'm running out of door jams im my house so I was wondering where there are good places to boulder near the city?
peace
New guy

Postby The Mitt » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:45 pm

Halifax has a huge amount of bouldering. Check this link out. http://ns.bouldering.ca/ My favorite places are Dover island and prospect. I am sure someone would offer to give you a lift when they go out. Hopefully soon the Monday night series will start and you can get a bus to the meeting point. From there I don't think you will have any worries.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:53 pm

Monday night Bouldering Series only starts in June; however, people seem to be getting out on the rock more and more these days. Here are 2 ways to get to the local area:
-If you post (and give people enough advanced warning) on this message board, you could probably hitch a ride with one of several groups of boulderers, especially on the weekend.
-Otherwise, if you can find enough spare change in between the pillows in your couch, you could head over to Ground Zero for an evening.(http://www.groundzeroclimbinggym.com). There are a keen, friendly group of boulderers who climb here on a regular basis (Mon, Wed, Fri I think) and often get outside on the weekends...and they don't bite.
good luck and happy climbing.
kt

Real Rock-on Climbing - Climbing on Real Rock

Postby peter » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:16 pm

As well, if you would prefer to do REAL rock climbing, watch for posts here respecting trad climbing outings each weekend, which have already begun.

I live in peninsular Halifax, and can get you out to the crags. All you need is a harness, shoes, and a helmet, although we also have extras of all of the above. The only prerequisite is you must be keen to trad climb.
peter

Postby The Mitt » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:38 pm

AWWW look at that one mention of hugs and the community comes together, offering rides and information. Isn't that special?

Mitt
Stoners, a kinder gentle orgaization :lol:
The Mitt

Re: Real Rock-on Climbing - Climbing on Real Rock

Postby ChrisS » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:52 pm

peter wrote:As well, if you would prefer to do REAL rock climbing, watch for posts here respecting trad climbing outings each weekend, which have already begun.

I live in peninsular Halifax, and can get you out to the crags. All you need is a harness, shoes, and a helmet, although we also have extras of all of the above. The only prerequisite is you must be keen to trad climb.

Ok, I'll bite. I climb at ground zero quite a bit and have lead in a gym about 3 times. However I do love leading, and would be intrested in trying some trad climbing.

I'm only 17, but If you don't mind, I'd like to go on one of these outings. I can provide shoes, and I might have a helmet and harness..... It's a long story...

Chris
ChrisS

trad yo

Postby climberwannabe » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:24 pm

Yeah I am also into doing some trad. I have done a bit of leading in gnd zero and am totally hooked. Guess I can kick that nasty crack habit now. Anyways, when are ya'all goin out next? I bought some quickdraws and would like to go watch/participate in some trad to see what I am gonna build for a rack. I dont know what the etiquete (I know its spelled wrong) for using other ppls racks, but I'd at least appreciate someone showing me how to place nuts/hexes/cams while standing on the ground. Plus I'd like to do some 2nding to see good/bad placements.

Any mentors wanna take on the apprentice?? Willing to travel, and dd free!! hehe
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby ChrisS » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:48 pm

From reading the forum I think that I did the GZ lead certification at the same time as you. If so, nice to talk to you again. Along with being willing to travel, I can also offer pickup/dropoff and transport to any crag in a nice torus station wagon with roofrack (I realize it is overkill, however skiis don't nicely fit in the trunk).

If you ever want to come in and lead at GZ I'd be up for it, I only live 10 minutes away. The weight difference might be a little too much... but I mean really, how high can I be lifted? :)

I guess thats a question I have to more experenced people, is there a point at which you need a different lead partner because there is too much of a weight difference?

Chris
ChrisS

trad rocks

Postby Stevo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:14 pm

Will deffo be out on the crag at least one day this weekend, keep an eye out for postings

Cheers
Steve
Stevo

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:56 pm

ChrisS wrote:I guess thats a question I have to more experenced people, is there a point at which you need a different lead partner because there is too much of a weight difference?

I would say no, except in extreme cases, like you're a 12 year old girl belaying your overweight, beer drunk 210 lb father as he flails 20 feet above his bolt, bat-winging and feet skating like Symphony On Ice.

I doubt that's the case though.

You can always anchor to the ground...
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby cooper » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:51 pm

hey guys i am lookin to just get out and climb any type
i have been climbing for about 6 or 7 months now and wanna get our on some real rock
i have the lead course and am willin to try any type me it trad sport or boldering
and hey chris i am lookin 4 someone to lead in the gym who lives close enough to be reliable hit me up on my e-mail me to let me know if u r up for it
ne one else who is willing let me know to

nayrepooc12@hotmail.com
cooper

Postby The Mitt » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:58 pm

We climb just about every weekend. Watch for the posts.

Sean
The Mitt

Return to Nova Scotia