I'm soooooooooooooo new.

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

I'm soooooooooooooo new.

Postby Giggle » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:12 pm

I'm new around here - like totally green. But I've always wanted to climb, and took and intro night at Dal last fall and LOVED it. I can't wait to get back, but have not had much opportunity. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might start? I'd appreciate any direction.
Giggle

Postby mitchleblanc » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:48 pm

Howdy,

I recommend heading to the gym. I know that Ground Zero is run by friendly fun people (talk to Kate, she rocks my world) and who would be willing I'm sure to give you a head start. There are other gyms in Halifax, (DAL is good now?) though since I'm not there, I don't know much about it. Someone will be along shortly to give you the dilly!

As for "getting into it".. this is my advice: head to the gym (whichever one) and meet people.. be stoked and friendly and don't worry about being "new". No one cares if you suck. I recommend you get into bouldering. It's harder, but if you're living in NS.. it's awesome! I think a quick look to http://ns.bouldering.ca will give you a head start. Lots to do.

If you have money, go out and buy a crashpad, shoes and chalk bag (and Zig's brand spanking new guide) and you have everything you need. If you're into rope climbing.. well, you'll need to take it alot slower, since you're more likely to kill yourself if you don't learn alot of stuff.

Just buy your shoes and chalk at very least.. and you're good to go.

Mitch
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Advice

Postby peter » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:20 pm

Your choices are:

plastic
outdoor plastic aka bouldering
rock

NS has them all.

All you need to rock climb is a harness, shoes, belay device and helmet, plus partners who have more gear and will lead climb.
peter

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:12 pm

well, am I the first person ever to receive a compliment from the infamous Mitch LeBlanc on this forum??!!! :oops:

hey Mitch! comment ca va? how is Australia treating you?

kate :)

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:34 pm

Anonymous wrote:well, am I the first person ever to receive a compliment from the infamous Mitch LeBlanc on this forum??!!! :oops:

hey Mitch! comment ca va? how is Australia treating you?

kate :)

Ha, you know I'm all talk ;)
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby dcentral » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:49 pm

Seriously I thought you were in Cape Breton for the longest time.
dcentral

Return to Nova Scotia