Deep Water Soloing?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Deep Water Soloing?

Postby revolushuneyz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:35 pm

I was wondering if anyone in NS is deep water soloing? Any beta for spots to check out?
revolushuneyz

Re: Deep Water Soloing?

Postby Zamboni » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Well,

if your coming to NS to deep water solo, I'd wait a few more months. Were still climbing Ice up here.
Zamboni

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Not really dude. There might be a few walls above the water you could climb but its not really a DWS destination. Most of the walls above the ocean are too exposed I think. You'd probably be hamburger if you fell.
Nate

Postby martha » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:10 am

Not to mention super COLD even in the summer time. The Atlantic Ocean isn't exactly tropical!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Zamboni » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:28 pm

late august, september are the best ocean temps. but they don't get much above 12 dagrees
Zamboni

Postby Murph » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:06 pm

You can try Ingonish beach for some SWB... Shallow Water Bouldering... just kidding

-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby pulldown » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:59 am

If you are looking for overhanging limestone above crystal clear warm salt water, Nova Scotia is not for you. But if you are up for a bit of unclimbed rock over water i would suggest gettin a canoe and exploring the many lakes around here. The big lake that is accross from the ball field in the LOC has some rock that comes straight out of the water and that lakes gets pretty warm in the summer. We have messed around on it in the winter when the lake was frozen and it looked cool.

Also down in the valley outside wolfville is a place called three pools or Devils dive. the local kids jump off the rocks there into the pools of the river. In Greenwood there is a spot that we use to jump off the rocks as well, my memory is very vague but if you asked around you could probably find it.

I think there is some overhanging rock on Paces Lake, down around Popcorn?

There might even be some rock coming out of williams lake here in Halifax. Not sure how the fall would be?

this post has really got me thinking. Maybe we have a whole new crop of unclimbed rock out here waiting for FAs. Or maybe the whole disscussion is really lame....

T
pulldown

Postby seanT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:31 pm

Lame..only because it is about deep water soloing which everyone knows is for wussies.
Shallow water soloing is where its at now!! and Paces lake is where that is going to be going off this summer booooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Sean
seanT

Postby Murph » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 pm

On a somewhat related topic, has anyone ever set up a deep water slack line? Just though it would be something fun to try for sh!ts and giggles.
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby Zamboni » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:15 am

Foster, that place outside of wolfville is call Three Pools, and its flowers shale, not quality rock to climb, and doesn't provide many lines.
Zamboni

Return to Nova Scotia