Boulderfest 2005

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Boulderfest 2005

Postby Climb Nova Scotia » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:54 am

Climb Nova Scotia needs volunteers to organize Boulderfest 2005. The current board members do not have time to take on this task this year. After organizing Boulderfest myself last year I wrote a manual on what needs to be done so whoever takes on the task this year won’t have to figure it all out from scratch. The manual has information on where to rent the BBQ, contact phone numbers for the boat, a grocery list, etc. It will make the job much easier.

Boulderfest tickets go on sale to CNS members at the AGM and to non members 48 hours later. If no one volunteers to organize the event at or before the AGM, ticket sales will be delayed until organizers are in place. We would ideally like to have three primary organizers, who can then get people to help them out on various tasks. Anyone interested should contact me at tethc@yahoo.com.

Teth Cleveland, President of Climb Nova Scotia
Climb Nova Scotia

Postby martha » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:07 am

I'll offer my assistance in any way I can from NB. Boulderfest is an event that everyone in the atlantic climbing community looks forward too. I couldn't stand to see it not happen.

c
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby martha » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:13 pm

Okay Guys,

So far Ben and Nate Smith are the only ones from Halifax that have offered their help with Boulderfest. Kudos to you two. Thanks SO much!! I'll put you to work. :lol:

I can do all sorts of plan making from NB. Booking Norm and his boat/time, booking the BBQ and soliciting for food and prizes etc.

But we do NEED a couple of volunteers that live in Halifax that have cars to run around and pick things up and do the leg work. I'll be in Halifax a few times between now and 'go time' and will do what I can.

If we don't get at least 2 more Volunteers (preferrably over 19 to assist in the getting of the Keg) with vehicles who are willing to put some Mega time in on this, Boulderfest just won't happen.

That in itself is heartbreaking.

Please come and help. I know you are all busy, So am I, but I really want this to happen. Don't you?

Cara

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Boulderfest

Postby peter » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:22 pm

But I thought Bouldering is defined as Climbing for Slackers!?
peter

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:01 pm

good point, peter.

in that case, why not let people go over on their own steam during the season instead of crushing the fragile island in one violent blow? everyone knows where the island is by now, including climbers from across Canada. let things happen naturally and then you won't have to line up to climb problems. and you won't have to tell local climbers not visit Dover on the solstice weekend. result=everyone is happy, and boulderers can continue being slackers. :D less work, more play.

Postby Ben » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:54 am

Hey Cara, I can probably get the groceries and the barbeque. Also I have some prizes lined up on this end. You should send me your email.
Thanks, Ben.
Ben

Boulderfest

Postby peter » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:32 am

A similar thought: why does Boulderfest have to happen in the same place each year? Why not move around, to show off other Nova Scotia Bouldering areas? Just a random thought, not agenda inspired.
peter

Postby dcentral » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:54 am

Actually this year Boulderfest isn't on the summer solstice this year. If you wanted to climb for longer you'd go the weekend before.

Days are only getting shorter by the 25th.
dcentral

Postby Scooter » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:36 am

it culd be because if you have a large scale of people, one boulder in the loc might not be big enough, more people sitting around. on dover you have over a kilometer of rock face and tehre is hardly any line ups. people can climb all around and the atmospehere is great. not to mention dover has tonnnnes of classic routes
Scooter

Postby The Mitt » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:04 pm

LOC could handle boulderfest and more people. Both places are great places to boulder, I think either one is cool. As long as people respect the enviroment.

Mitt
The Mitt

Boulderfest

Postby peter » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:08 pm

How about "Builderfest", with sites at Province House, the Historic Properties, the Wave, etc.?
peter

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:14 pm

sounds like fun! I have always wanted to guide a Tuesday Night Buildering Series in the summer. :lol:
kate

Postby martha » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:21 pm

I think Dover is sweet that time of year due to the fact that most of the inland areas have a lot of bugs!! I know that when we come to boulderfest every year it is the first weekend we've had sans bugs since april!!

martha

Postby martha » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:20 am

Ben wrote:Hey Cara, I can probably get the groceries and the barbeque. Also I have some prizes lined up on this end. You should send me your email.
Thanks, Ben.

ben...

cara_hazelton@yahoo.ca

contact me asap and let me know what you've got going on. :)

martha

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:00 pm

Scooter wrote:it culd be because if you have a large scale of people, one boulder in the loc might not be big enough

hello! there is more than just one boulder in the LOC. anyway, wasn't the Meltdown in the LOC last year..?

Postby denise » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:27 am

ben,

if you're going to get groceries, i suggest you get some help. it took three of us two to three hours last year, and we needed two vehicles to cart all of the stuff... plus a LOT of coolers. (four overloaded shopping carts)

i would help, but i'm out of town that week.

cara, if i can help with other stuff before that time, let me know.

denise
denise

Postby martha » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:30 am

Thanks Denise.

I'd like to have a planning meeting directly after the AGM. perhaps then there will be more volunteers and I can start to delegate some stuff.

Cara

martha

Postby ben » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:26 pm

with regards to the groceries i could definatly use some help if any body wants to put in some hours shopping, also I only have access to one car and a cooler (Thanks mom) so if anybody has a cooler epecially or a car and wants to volunteer that would be awesome.
ben

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:52 pm

I volunteer one more car and help with the alcohol acquiring etcetc (which I understand might be a problem for Ben and Nate). Dunno if I will be there for the AGM, so please email me for details...
thanks
felix
fhanke@dal.ca

Postby Ben » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:25 pm

Felix, thanks dude.
Ben

Return to Nova Scotia