Possible small bouldering area in Bedford

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Possible small bouldering area in Bedford

Postby saF » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:44 pm

I was out hiking in the snow a couple of years ago and stumbled upon this place. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=49+Sapphire+Crescent,Lower+Sackville,+Nova+Scotia,+Canada&ll=44.741895,-63.676693&spn=0.005418,0.007918&t=k&hl=en

I quickly looked it over and saw that there are a few things that look doable, but not a lot. But then it is in Bedford! and if you park along the highway (look for the rocks and white cross that say "Pooleo", there is a path just past the guard rail), it should only be a 10 minute hike in, maybe less if its not muddy. The other places to park would be the Jack Lake Trail head or the end of the service road on Hammonds Plains Rd beside the highway.

There are 2 or 3 ridges of rock with any height to it at all (and only about 10 or 14 feet) and I thought there might be about 3 or 4 places that might have a few problems each. But then I don't really look at stuff that is out of my league, so there might be some harder problems that I overlooked.

I have always planned to go back there with my shoes and a pad, but have never made it. And I heard that there might be a sub-division put in that area in the next few years, so I figured somebody had better have a shot at it. Especially since I am moving in a week. :(

Originally this place was cleared out for the provincial jail that was eventually built in Burnside.

Hope someone can find something worth while there since it is so close to town.

Good luck,
saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

Postby saF » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:47 pm

You know I am not doing too good with links to those Google satellite images... Lets try this link instead!

http://maps.google.com/maps?&ll=44.741895,-63.676693&spn=0.005418,0.007918&t=k&hl=en

That should work better. I don't think anyone wants to go to my parents house... If you do, please call ahead! :?

saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

Return to Nova Scotia