am i on drugs?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

am i on drugs?

Postby seanT » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:16 am

Having just looked at the forecast and seen 5 straight days of sun and temps round plus 10, I have to assume that I am on some sort of halucinagen! Is anyone planning on getting out in the daytime this week(before 2pm) I will have Luc in tow but am willing to drive. Should be sweet!!
SeanT
seanT

Re: am i on drugs?

Postby aidasr » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:09 pm

yeah really. i just assumed i was and shrugged it off..but now with someone else seeing the same thing, perhaps somesort of climbing related fun should be organized... wednesday? thursday? even tuesday? ropes, boulders, anything!
aidasr

Postby mick » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:31 pm

School's done, I'm free all week.

Really itching to get out on a rope, but I'll happily boulder instead.

Call me when you're heading out

425-MICK
mick

Postby Zamboni » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:57 am

Sean, take mick to the slabs! We have 8 bolted routs our there now.
Zamboni

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:17 am

cool. where is this? I must check it out on my next visit.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby tracstarr » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:37 am

although plagued with hurting body parts i'd be game to head out.
tracstarr

Postby chameleon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 am

yeah, what's the latest on the bug city bolted bouldering area? (ha!ha!)
any photos of radness?
toddles? therienosauraus?
chameleon

Postby Zamboni » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:22 am

They are all short routs, with about 3 - 5 bolts each, from grades 5.5 to a possible 5.11 project. Lots of slab action.
Zamboni

Postby Fred » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:39 am

now I don't know if this is a joke or not... :)
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chameleon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:51 am

photos Conan?
chameleon

Postby ben smith » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:56 pm

yo- the bug city bolted lines- I thought it would be some weak-ass bolting of good bouldering lines-but not the case- the lines are around 40 ft of slab and would be horrendous boulder problems, easy, slabby, and probably would never be cleaned.

I think the majority of the lines are legit, a couple bolted lines would have gone on gear, but now its a decent area for new leaders, and anyone who has a problem, you all had 12 years to find and clean this flowers, but no one bothered, so bottom line, you can STFU now that some one is putting work in on developing a new area.
ben smith

Postby Rich » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:58 pm

What magnificient event marks the start and end of this 12 year era for establishing routes?
Rich

Postby mick » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm

I'm headed out to this Bug City place tomorrow (wednesday) afternoon, leaving once my ride gets out of class at 1:30pm.

I know only the general location (behind Corn and Bung??) so if anyone wants to show me the way it would be appreciated and would certainly save me from wet feet and wrong turns.

Who's with me?

mick
mick

Postby the kydd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Yo Rich,

Welcome home! How was the second week at Indian Creek?
the kydd

Postby ben smith » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:26 pm

I'm basing it on the period that i had heard people have been rope climbing in the LOC, I'd heard people were toproping in pollys cove around 95-96. basically i wanted to get the point across that people will moan about how some of these routes have one or two peices of gear and as they are only 5.8 at the hardest they are trad leadable. I'm of the opinion (based on how many people are devoted to new routing trad lines in the LOC...) that these lines would be ignored and that the development of these bolted lines (albeit with a few questionable bolt placements) is overall a good thing.

plus i'm all full of piss and vinegar now that my thesis is done and I wanted to start some flowers talking about ethics
ben smith

Postby the kydd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:06 pm

I've got two photos of the new wall. There has since been several lines added to the left and the right of these photos. You can see two of the bolted lines (look for white streaks which is dust left behind from the drilling). The left leaning crack (in the second photo), which then heads straight up when it meets the horizontal crack is another route. It has been bolted since the photo was taken. You can see black webbing at the anchor. It might have taken gear. I cleaned it, ran out of time and never made it back in, it got bolted on another trip out. On the far left side of the first photo (look for scrubbed holds) is a route that has been bolted and sent as well. It has also recieved a lot more scrubbing. There is also one, maybe two, routes further left which are not in the photos. I believe they have been bolted since the last time I was out. I believe, but may be incorrect in saying, that there are bolted routes on the far right wall (second photo) which is cut off in the photo.

I'm looking forward to reading the raging ethics debate that I'm sure is going to spawn from above posts.
Attachments
Bug City New Routes.jpg
Bug City New Routes.jpg (108.6 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
Bug City New Routes (2).jpg
Bug City New Routes (2).jpg (112.82 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
the kydd

Postby chameleon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Chill out there Ben-ji!
I was just lookin' for some photos to get us all psyched.
You don't have to tell me about how awesome 40' dirty slabs are.
Suh-weet.

S.

(Thanks for posting some up Jeff.)
chameleon

Postby Eager » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:51 pm

Well I was just looking at the calendar, and it is about the time of year that we, the climbing community, get into a raging ethics debate.

I'm keeping my crampons this summer,
and gonna dry tool all over this mofo!!!!!!!
Eager

Postby martha » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:55 pm

Eager wrote:Well I was just looking at the calendar, and it is about the time of year that we, the climbing community, get into a raging ethics debate.

I'm keeping my crampons this summer,
and gonna dry tool all over this mofo!!!!!!!

Man, everyone will be pissed when you land on their crashpads with those on...
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Rich » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:17 am

Yo Jeff,

The second week was wicked - only had one more day of cragging at IC after you guys left - the rest of the time we spent in tower mode. I was bit reluctant to leave the cragging approach at first because of the quality of the lines and also because I was feeling like i was just getting used to the IC style but the towers offered some great adventures and got us to some amazingly dramatic areas which I'm super glad I got to experience. Also, the tower lines we did ("Lightning Bolts" on the North Six Shooter, "Primrose Dihedrals" on Moses in the Canyonlands and "Ancient Art" on the muddy Fisher Towers) were super classic routes, all unique in their own right. Besides tht we did bit of bouldering at Big Bend and spent a day hiking in the Arches NP - crazy landscape.

Oh by the way - Alf left a piece of sanding material in your shoe and told me to tell you that the toe needs a few more coats of aqua seal - roughen up between coats and try not to touch w hands due to oils.

-rich
Rich

Postby the kydd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Rich,

Thanks for dropping off the guide book and shoes at the gym. I appreciate you looking after them for me. Alf did a good job on the resoles.

If anyone needs a good resole, look for a man by the name of Alf. He lives in his truck, and can be found dirtbagging in Indian Creek for the winters, and in Wyoming (?) during the summer months. You can't miss him by the cokebottle glasses, wirey figure, and hatred of Coloradians (sp.), especially sprayers from Boulder with their toddlers in tow. He has also been spotted in Hueco by Lance Thruster.

Also, if anyone needs a complete panorama of Indian Creek in their living room, he is figuring out a way to take panoramic shots of the creek and can then print off 8' X whatever' to completely surround the room. I told him I'd pass the word along. Not bad for a guy that doesn't even own a camera.

Word.
the kydd

Postby mick » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:03 am

Great day of sending at Bug City yesterday, thanks again Todd.

Those new bolts we placed on Corn boulder sure make Resurrection and Captain Hook safer without a pad!
mick

Postby nsagar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:16 pm

I'm flying in next week to send all that flowers at da bug city those pics got me all juicy!!!
nsagar

Return to Nova Scotia