Porcupine Fortress is tha shizzly wizzly

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Porcupine Fortress is tha shizzly wizzly

Postby seanT » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:57 am

Made a trip to PF for the first time yesterday with a little posse and WOW that place is sick!!!why in gods name have I not been there before?! STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPP!!!!! Love it!!! Agent Smith got a psuedo new line up "cum lip"Vshpanky! And for all the route developers out there that have not been to PF there is some serious potential for some new sport routes and one of the finest looking crack climbs ive seen to date in the province..pure slammer hands all the way!!
CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SeanT
seanT

Re: Porcupine Fortress is tha shizzly wizzly

Postby ben smith » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:54 pm

co-sign (cos-sin?) yo!

but to clarify, you have to say the name of the new line in a heavy german accent to not sound like some kind of fiendish internet pervert.
i.e.,
"schnell, schnell. KOMME, LIP!"
"scheisse!"

maybe that just makes things worse...
ben smith

Postby chameleon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:01 pm

not kewl ben, not kewl.

S
chameleon

Postby jeremy benjamin » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:40 pm

I was planning on heading out to the PF this weekend. All I have for info is the guide book. Are the directions in the guide book accurate and detailed enough to find the boulders? And how long is the hike in?
jeremy benjamin

Postby mick » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:47 pm

First Toss-Box, now Cum-Lip? Feeling lonely these days Ben?

Don't worry buddy, summer's almost here and the ladies love camping...
mick

Postby Zamboni » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:25 pm

I think its the rock crop in the center in the link below

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.52 ... 8&t=k&z=18

Check out keiths video from a few years back.

http://tracstarr.com/g2/d/3972-4/Porcup ... Scotia.wmv
Zamboni

Postby pulldown » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:31 pm

You can also check out the video on my blog. In the article you will find reference to The Teths website. He was the first to find and develop many of the problems there.
http://boulderingnovascotia.blogspot.co ... 20Fortress

Todd
pulldown

Postby seanT » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:46 pm

yeah check out Todds blog its got all the 411 you will need.
seanT

Postby jeremy benjamin » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:37 pm

Word. Thanks peeps.
jeremy benjamin

Postby jeremy benjamin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:49 pm

I made it out to PF with a crew of peeps this past Sunday. It was a beautiful day. We were all first timers to the area, and a good time was had by all.

Some things we would like to share with anyone headed out there... We got a little lost following the directions in the Bouldering guide book. From the 103 the book says to take exit 6, then a left at the T-junction towards Hubbards and then a right towards North West Cove. These directions take for granted that you turn left at the intersection at the end of exit 6, so we would stress that after taking exit 6 it is left, left, right. Not just Left, right. Once we figured out our mistake and got to Coleman’s Cove Rd to park we easily found the rocks in the ditch to cross into the woods. Before you cross the ditch into the woods you can look across the lake and see the big wall at the bottom of which are the boulders. So that is where you are headed. The hike is not too long but also does not resemble the "wide and well marked trail" described in the book. The woods are sparse and there seems to be trails going in all directions. So it was easy hiking, but hard to know which way to go. As far as we could tell there is no arrow on the other side of the stream, but we may have been in the wrong spot on the stream when we crossed it. We also did not encounter the windfall that you have to go under, but we did happen upon the hunting blind. Once you find that, you really are almost there and the landmarks of the lake and the wall that you have to be between are pretty easy to find.

The super classic problems that we loved...

The Quill V0 has no *'s in the guide book but deserves all three*** in my opinion. 16 feet high at the top out, I think it gives Orgasmatron some stiff competition for the coolest V0 around. Super cool.

Anchor Chain and Confidence both V4***, and both on the Battleship boulder. Two very different styles of problem both saw ascents, and put smiles on many faces. I think Confidence was my favourite of the 2 but they were both rad.
jeremy benjamin

Postby pulldown » Wed May 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Been out to the fortress and shot some tape. Check it out on my blog.

Todd
http://www.pulldown.ca
pulldown

Return to Nova Scotia