Possible bouldering at Basinview Drive Elementary School

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Possible bouldering at Basinview Drive Elementary School

Postby Andrew09 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:26 pm

I was up at Basinview Drive Elementary playing volleyball the other night and as we were driving in i noticed a section fenced off that looks like a great place to boulder.

Didnt get a chance to fully explore as it was getting a little dark. Its at the back of the school where the car park is next to the school field, im guessing they only have it sectioned off to stop the kids climbing on it during lunch and getting hurt.

Dont think the school would have a problem if people went on a weeekend or on a night after the school day has ended.

Dont know if anyone else has been there or lives by there that might be able to investigate a little further. I live up by highfield and only get out there once a week so im not the best one to secribe what its like.

Thought it might be a good little place within the city rather than driving all the way out of town to LOC or somewhere like that.

Another place i sported was outside the home depot in bayers lake, again could be a terrible place to climb but if some one is passing maybe have a little stop and check it out.
Andrew09

Re: Possible bouldering at Basinview Drive Elementary School

Postby jeremy benjamin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:37 pm

Another place to boulder in the city is at Kidston Lake kind of out by Spryfeild. Follow Rockingstone drive to fieldstone st. You can park at the dead end and follow the trail to a park area on the lake. There are 3 or 4 pockets of boulders there.
jeremy benjamin

Postby SteveDave » Thu May 01, 2008 10:52 am

I don't know what kind of rock it is, but I used to live on Meadowbrook (a couple blocks from the school) and there's a ton of stuff to climb along that field. A lot of dirt-covered sections, and most of it has been blasted, so you'd want to watch out for loose rock - but it's definitely worth checking out. Who knows, it might have some serious climbs hidden.

Also, watch out for glass - it's a popular 'teen hang out' area.

- Steve
SteveDave

Postby patzer » Thu May 01, 2008 3:44 pm

Hey,

Does anyone have a mini-report on the number and range of problems at Kidston Lake?

Just wondering if there's 4 problems or more like 14? And if they're mostly warm-up things, or mostly "Rest Day V8" like things?
patzer

Return to Nova Scotia