Show of hands....

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Show of hands....

Postby SteveDave » Thu May 01, 2008 10:55 am

How many people would be interested in coming out if the Monday Night Bouldering Series was back in action?

Been looking at some old site lineup and thinking about working on a new one for this year. Figure once that's done we can post some paper up at the gyms or whatever.

Usually it runs from June til August - 12 or so weeks.

Let me know.

- Steve
SteveDave

Re: Show of hands....

Postby peter » Thu May 01, 2008 12:07 pm

I try to get out two or three times a summer, just to establish that old men can boulder. So ya, go for it.
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby aidasr » Thu May 01, 2008 12:44 pm

im up for it, when not working.
aidasr

Postby Andrew09 » Thu May 01, 2008 1:09 pm

I'd like to try bouldering outdoor this summer, i dont really have a mat or car so, im a bit of a dead weight really :? but if transport is available ill be there :D
Andrew09

Postby SteveDave » Thu May 01, 2008 2:21 pm

Basically, the way it had always worked was we'd all meet beforehand at this parking lot on the Armdale Rotary and carpool to the spot that evening. If enough experienced boulderers came along there would be a surplus of pads, and beta, so the idea is that people who didn't have a drive or any knowledge of the spots or pads could get an in depth introduction to outdoor climbing and meet a few new people.

Plenty of buses will get you to the rotary, if that's an issue.

- Steve
SteveDave

Postby peter » Thu May 01, 2008 6:19 pm

Andrew09 wrote:I'd like to try bouldering outdoor this summer, i dont really have a mat or car so, im a bit of a dead weight really :? but if transport is available ill be there :D

There seem to always be enough of both, so don't worry about either.
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby pulldown » Thu May 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey Steve

Have you thought of starting sooner and running later in the season? I'm definitely going to make it out a lot.

Todd
pulldown

Postby Diamox » Thu May 01, 2008 7:24 pm

I'd be in; when I'm not working that is.
Have car.
Diamox

Postby Andrew09 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:26 am

Getting to the rotary isnt a problem its getting out to the climbing, ive never been so i wouldnt know where to go :? but if you guys all car pool that would be great i dont mind chipping in for gas. What sort of time do you go on a monday night?
Andrew09

Postby patzer » Fri May 02, 2008 12:12 pm

As long as I've been going it was normal to leave at 6pm sharp. Most people showed up around... 5:55pm. :P

People climbed until dusk or a bit later, depending on the area and how long of a walk back to the cars it is. People didn't usually take headlamps or other lighting. But no reason why they couldn't I suppose!
patzer

Postby jgo_mo » Fri May 02, 2008 12:44 pm

I'm definitely interested. I have a crash pad but zero knowledge of bouldering in the area. Do it.
jgo_mo

Postby seanT » Fri May 02, 2008 1:39 pm

im really psyched that people are interested in carrying on the tradition of the Monday Night Bouldering Series. Having organized and ran it for something like 5 years i was sad to see its demise last year. Family commitements stopped me from being able to be there every monday to lead the tour. Whoever decides to take up the reigns should keep a few things in mind
1.Bugs..i tried to pick the locations to avoid bugs at thier peak time.
2.# of people...sometimes there would be close to or more than 30 people so really have to try and pick a area that can take that many.
3.Parking...Places like Prospect require a low profile approach.
4.Pads...for a few years MEC co sponsored the event and let us use thier rental pads..word has it that CNS might be doing that this year so sweet!
5.Gas Money....this was not really a issue before but i think it is only fair for people to throw in some cash for gas now.
6.Have fun!!!!
SeanT
seanT

Postby SteveDave » Fri May 02, 2008 1:52 pm

The lists that I've found mostly have 13 dates on them. Having looked at a calendar, it turns out that there are 13 Mondays from the beginning of June til the end of August.

Only reason I suggested those three months, Todd, was because GZ's last league goes from May 5th til May 18th - so we could start two weeks early and make it 15 dates, I suppose, I just don't want to miss any opportunities to get problems I missed. :D

Posting the tentative schedule later today, then we can talk about any sites people want to go to that aren't on the list, bearing in mind that a lot of bouldering areas can't facilitate groups of 10 to 20. Or more.

Hahaaaa yeah Sean! I was just thinking as I wrote this that I needed to talk to you about the finer points. Awesome advice, and hopefully we'll get to talk about it tomorrow morning if I show up early enough. Sweet.

- Steve
SteveDave

Postby pulldown » Fri May 02, 2008 2:09 pm

I don't think we have gone out to Herring cove in the last few years. It might be a good idea to show people this place. It's one of the only bouldering areas accessible by bus and really close to the rotary. I have the guide for the area so i could show people around.

Todd
pulldown

Postby pulldown » Fri May 02, 2008 2:11 pm

I don't think we have gone out to Herring cove in the last few years. It might be a good idea to show people this place. It's one of the only bouldering areas accessible by bus and really close to the rotary. I have the guide for the area so i could show people around.

Todd
pulldown

Postby jeremy benjamin » Fri May 02, 2008 3:43 pm

Is there an echo in here?

I am into the monday night bouldering outings. It is a great way to make new friends, climb with old friends, and introduce new people to either the local scene or to bouldering and climbing in general. If you build it I think they will come.
jeremy benjamin

Postby SteveDave » Sun May 04, 2008 5:28 pm

So apparently when I said "later today" I actually meant "in about two days"... Oh well.

Here's an old list, modified for the dates this year. Like I said, we can modify this according to people's preferences and insert missing locations - for now it's totally fluid.

June 2 Prospect Bay
June 9 Duncan's Cove
June 16 Chebucto Head
June 23 Polly's Cove
June 30 Chebucto Foot

July 7 Crystal Crescent Beach
July 14 Land of Confusion: Scrappy Boulders/Area 51
July 21 Land of Confusion: Cheesecake/Nouveau Riche/Borg Boulders
July 28 Skull Rock

August 4 Duncan's Cove
August 11 Land of Confusion: Mission Impossible wall/Scoop/Mega
August 18 Polly's Cove
August 25 Prospect Bay***Night Bouldering***

Anyway, let me know what you think. We could definitely stick Herring Cove into one of the repeated spots, and if anybody else wanted something on the list, I'm sure we can chuck it in.

Chea.

- Steve
SteveDave

Postby Zamboni » Sun May 04, 2008 6:30 pm

Skull rock will suck if we all meet at the normal spot. Its a good 30-40 min drive without traffic, But a rush hour its hell. We should pick a different meeting spot if were going to check out skull rock, like GZ? We should also put a rope night in there at bug city with one of the LOC dates.

Cb'
Zamboni

Postby aidasr » Sun May 04, 2008 8:54 pm

the Chebucto Head could appease rope climbers as well.
aidasr

Postby patzer » Sun May 04, 2008 11:43 pm

I'm interested in these monday night things too.

Just some thoughts:

- Prospect suffered a lot of damage from the weather this year too, I'd check into how bad it fared and how much is still climbable.
- Last year Chebucto Foot was buggy buggy buggy when we went, I wonder if there's a better time to go (I don't remember if we went on the scheduled week or not)
- I've never been to the scrappy boulders, but the reviews I got were not positive for people who couldn't work the V6 classic there, maybe it was just sour grapes though :P
- I wouldn't be surprised if Duncan's Cove also has been beat up, I remember having stuff pointed out to me there as very recent storm damage remnants

Jason
patzer

Postby jeremy benjamin » Mon May 05, 2008 9:10 am

A lot of boulders were moved around at Prospect but not very many climbs were lost. The V3 traverse called having twins got harder because the Fishing Girls boulder that you start on is further from the second boulder that you end on. Prospect is as good a place to go as it ever was.

A large group was at the Scrappy Boulders yesterday. I think everyone had a good time and found stuff in their range to climb. There are 2 good landing V0's and a couple sketchier landing V0's, There are 2 wicked fun V2's, There is a fun V3 at the end of the classic V6 and there is some other stuff as well.
jeremy benjamin

Postby patzer » Mon May 05, 2008 1:41 pm

Good to hear, and good enough for me!
patzer

Postby stoneseeker » Mon May 05, 2008 5:03 pm

I'd be in for a bunch of 'em.

I have a few friends who are beginners or just interested in checking out the scene, and this would be awesome for them to get a taste of bouldering with the community.
Make it happen Steve!
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby SteveDave » Tue May 06, 2008 12:01 am

I like the idea of including an area with mostly rope climbing, but I worry about the number of beginners out there who don't have harnesses. Or ropes for that matter. I don't have a rope or any gear and I've been climbing for almost three years.

If we could make it work (maybe Sean would rent out some harnesses for the night, or maybe MEC or CNS have rental gear up for grabs?) where would be a good spot close by? I know Eagle's Nest is pretty close but it's kind of a dirty, glass-littered teen hangout isn't it?

- Steve
SteveDave

Postby seanT » Tue May 06, 2008 7:57 am

monday night BOULDERING series=no ropes
word
Sean
seanT

Postby pulldown » Tue May 06, 2008 8:13 am

[quote]monday night BOULDERING series=no ropes[/quote]

Agreed! Move light and move fast.

Todd
pulldown

Postby jeremy benjamin » Tue May 06, 2008 8:42 am

pulldown wrote:Move light and move fast.

Todd

Like Ninjas!
jeremy benjamin

Postby Zamboni » Tue May 06, 2008 8:50 pm

CNS has all the gear. And any member can use it if CNS decides to set up some top ropes. Or, go by one, there at most 50 bucks.
Zamboni

Return to Nova Scotia