Monday Night Bouldering Series, Week 1: Prospect Bay

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Monday Night Bouldering Series, Week 1: Prospect Bay

Postby SteveDave » Thu May 29, 2008 12:43 am

It's on! Monday June 2nd we go to Prospect Bay.

For anyone who does not know, basically the Monday night bouldering is open to anyone who can make it - regardless of their skill level or experience. We leave from the church parking lot on the Armdale Rotary (Roundabout?) at 6:00 sharp, head to each location and climb until dark or whenever we get tired. I couldn't get a lock on the parking lot in Google maps, but here's a shot of it from satellite, it's the concrete patch with the funky white chevrons in the center of this image.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&ge ... 7&t=h&z=18

Anyone without a vehicle can show up and try to find a carpool - there's usually a surplus of vehicles heading out, and beginners or first timers should keep in mind that most of the bouldering areas we'll be visiting are remote, exposed, and usually windy. So if it's cold, bring a jacket, if it's hot, bring a hat and some water. Bug repellent is a good idea as well, especially when we start visiting the areas within the LOC.

So yeah. Prospect Bay. Monday. 6PM.

Here's an excerpt from the Guide Book on how to get there:
To get to the small fishing village of Prospect, take St. Margaret's Bay Road from the Armdale Rotary. Follow it past one traffic light, and turn left at the second traffic light (3.6km) onto Prospect Road. If you're confused, follow the signs for Peggy's Cove. Follow Prospect Road for 16.3km and you will see a sign for Prospect and Prospect Bay on your right. Take a left turn as the sign indicates. you will immediately see a large sign on your right welcoming you to Prospect Bay. Continue along the road as it leads into the small fishing village of Prospect itself. At 7.1km, you will make a right turn onto a gravel road named Indian Point Road. Drive to the end of this short gravel road and park. Absolutely do not park in front of a resident's driveway! If the small parking area at the end of the road is full, drive back 100 meters and park as far over onto the right side of the road as possible. To get to the bouldering area, take the ATV trail that leaves directly from the parking area. The trail heads toward the ocean for about 3 minutes and then makes a gradual right turn to lead you parallel to the ocean's shore. You will see a hill directly in front of you. Th main bouldering area is on the ocean face of this hill. Follow the ATV trail towards the hill and cut left onto foot trails as you reach it. These trails will lead you over the left side of the hill. If you crest the hill, take a left turn towards the water and you should e on top of the bouldering area. The area looks like an amphitheater with a very flat landing and a number of distinct boulders forming its boundaries.

OR if you want graphical representation, try this one:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&ge ... 8&t=h&z=18

And that's basically it. Follow up, folks, if I missed anything important.

- Steve
SteveDave

Re: Monday Night Bouldering Series, Week 1: Prospect Bay

Postby the kydd » Thu May 29, 2008 6:26 pm

Sweet, I'm stoked to get out with a large crowd! Lots of pads!!

One thing, what's the parking situation at Prospect. I know its a very small spot (only like 2 cars worth). Is there a larger space which people can park, thus not blocking any driveways and pissing off the residents of the area?

Anyone know?
the kydd

Postby patzer » Thu May 29, 2008 6:48 pm

In previous summers there was 10+ cars there I think... Some with a bit more of a walk than others, but I doubt there will be a problem so long as people carpool sensibly.
patzer

Postby SteveDave » Thu May 29, 2008 9:35 pm

Aside from the small parking area at prospect, Jeff, there's the entire short road to park on as well - I don't think there are many driveways on it to block, to be fair.

Cheaa. Parking should be fine.

- Steve
SteveDave

Postby the kydd » Fri May 30, 2008 12:16 am

Nice!
the kydd

Postby kate » Fri May 30, 2008 6:48 pm

just my 2 cents--
for any newbies: "hot" in town does not necessarily mean hot on the coast, so definitely take warm clothes. that NS fog can creep up on you. :shock:

have fun! sorry I won't be there to keep the bugs away from everyone...
kt
kate

Postby peter » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Week 1: Excellent night out, last night. Had to be about 20 people there. I am pleased to say I only knew three of them. A bigger area with more problems is definitely required, with a crowd this size. Lots of enthusiasm was apparent.

Suggestion: The organizers may want to say something before leaving the parking lot like, this is a gathering of climbers, not a course or a guided event, and everyone is responsible for their own safety. So, get to know each other and have fun, introduce yourself to other climbers, spot for each other, and share guidebooks, but watch out for obvious hazards (like massive swells/waves).

Next Week: Where to?
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby SteveDave » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:55 pm

Next Week: Where to?

Duncan's Cove.
Going to post the 'official' announcement once I get back from Best Buy. :D

Thanks for the advice on the disclaimer, I'll see if I can work that in as well.

- Steve
SteveDave

Postby jeremy benjamin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Is there a guide available for Duncan's Cove? I don't think there is anything in the book. It would be nice to have something printed off or photocopied for Monday night. Is there any info online or in a box somewhere?
jeremy benjamin

Return to Nova Scotia