Monday Night Bouldering Series, Week 2: Duncan's Cove

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Monday Night Bouldering Series, Week 2: Duncan's Cove

Postby SteveDave » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:36 pm

Monday, June 9th. 6PM. Rotary to Duncan's Cove.

To recap, the "MNBS" is a community gathering with no affiliation or figurehead organizers. Essentially it's just a group of people who want to get together to go climbing at places they have or have not been to before, and anyone is welcome to come along. Because this is not a 'guided tour' or an official event, all risks are assumed by the individuals themselves, as independent participants. That said, do no hesitate to come along. All skill levels are invited, newbies and first timers should look into this as a great opportunity to climb real rocks with advice from more experienced climbers, and peer support. Pads are usually plentiful, and spotters as well.

So we meet BEFORE 6PM at the Armdale Rotary, in the (what is the name of the church there?) parking lot, shown at the center of this image:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&ge ... 7&t=h&z=18

At 6:00 sharp we leave for the proscribed destination. Duncan's cove is actually located at the same site as Chebucto Head, just off to the 'right' or... south east I guess. Directions to Chebucto Head from Zig's book follow:

To get there, take the Herring Cove exit from the Armdale (Roundabout). Follow Herring Cove Road through Spryfield, passing a number of traffic lights. Follow the road for nineteen kilometers, and you will see a small sign on your right instructing you to turn left for Chebucto Head. Follow Chebucto Head Road which is very narrow and bumpy for about 4km. At the end of the road is a lighthouse and a small parking area for the public.

A couple of things. First off, the road is actually in much better condition now than it was when this was written. Most of the GIGANTIC potholes have been patched, at least until the gate. Post gate shouldn't be an issue however, because we actually can't park in the parking area due to time constraints. Turns out the gate locks at 8:30 PM, so unless you want to leave early, stay out of the gated area. Not to mention the fact that there are shortcut paths to Duncan's Cove further down towards the secondary parking area (at the gate) anyway.

Here's a google maps guide to get to that spot:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&ge ... 5&t=h&z=18

One last thing - this area is well known for being quite buggy. If you can't handle the bugs, don't come. If you can - bring some bug juice. They don't like bug juice and it's a real help for your concentration and overall quality of life. Aside from the being toxic and horrific for your health and the environment thing. But who really cares about the environment anyway? Damned hippies and their 'trees'.

- Steve
SteveDave

Re: Monday Night Bouldering Series, Week 2: Duncan's Cove

Postby aidasr » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:05 pm

anyone interested in doing some roped climbing in the gulleys?
aidasr

Postby evan goulet » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Hey Folks:

Any good samaritan driving along Quinpool to the rotary want to stop and pick up me and (if need be) a crash pad? I'm just on Kline, near Oxford. If anyone has room, I'd be forever grateful. (Well forever's a long time, but I'll be grateful for at least a few days.)

Cheers!
Evan
evan goulet

Postby Zamboni » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:07 am

Is anybody else feeling pain? Twin sister's pain?
Zamboni

Postby peter » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:19 am

aidasr wrote:anyone interested in doing some roped climbing in the gulleys?

I am up for that. What do I need to bring, besides a harness and belay device?

Peter
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby Genille » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:57 am

Does anyone know if its okay to bring dogs to Duncan's Cove?
Genille

Postby the kydd » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:56 pm

As far as I know the only place that dogs aren't allowed is on Dover Island.
the kydd

Postby kate » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:18 pm

don't know how curious your dog is, but we have often seen porcupines at the actual Duncan's Cove area... :shock:
kate

Postby aidasr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:19 pm

peter wrote:
aidasr wrote:anyone interested in doing some roped climbing in the gulleys?

I am up for that. What do I need to bring, besides a harness and belay device?

Peter

Hey Peter, sorry i didnt check this morning.
Graham and I were down in the gulley closest to the lighthouse.
Next week ( if the group is heading the chebucto head) we'll have to rope up and check out some of the routes.
aidasr

Return to Nova Scotia