Differences between NS climbing scene and elsewhere

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Differences between NS climbing scene and elsewhere

Postby mike » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:50 pm

Here's my 2 cents... feel free to add, subtract or bash away... 'cause I'm curious:

Almost every other climbing scene I've ever encountered has been riddled with hard partying, sacrifice the body, laugh in yer face, ass kickers.
Here I find that climbers are more sedate, gentle and focused on being upstanding members of society.
I've never been to Boulderfest.... but have always been surprised to hear that there is occasionally beer left in the morning. One keg and what? 80 people??? Weird. No DJ with pounding tunes late into the night? Weird again.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur with out of date ideas but seems to me that putting 80 climbers together on a remote island with beer has potential to be a great big party-on-the-ocean with a few nice sends on the first day and a few less on the second.

I'd like to hear some opinions on why Nova Scotia produces such a (in my opinion) unique climbing scene. Go for it...
mike

NS Climbing

Postby peter » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:14 pm

As my mother would say, "Young people today, I just don't know."
peter

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:55 pm

the Meltdown has "pyrotechnics" - is that crazy enough for you, Mike? :lol:

I know what you mean, though. people are pretty low-key around here. not much screaming and hard sending going on...maybe we need some inspiration. hint, hint, Mike? :wink:

Postby mike » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:06 pm

Hey wait a minute.... There's tonnes of great climbing ability here- I'm certainly not saying anything about ability. Well, I'll say one thing... mine leaves alot to be desired. I'm a technical midget (I mean little person).
mike

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:09 pm

Man I like the sound of climbing 'elsewhere' Mike. I have no ability to climb but I can party pretty good. But I know what you mean, I dont feel comfortable drinking a quart and running around with my clothes off if there is 80 ppl who cant manage to finnish a keg. Lets have our own boulderfest.

Steve
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby mike » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:24 pm

so what up?????
anyone got anything to say er what????

get the lead out!
mike

Postby The Mitt » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:15 pm

Not much to say because I agree. Climbers in atlantic canada for the most part are pretty calm. I myself am alittle different (insert joke here) I would like a good day of climbing followed by a great party, followed by some more good climbing.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:18 pm

i seem to recall a lot of alcohol being consumed in the stead of the keg of beer. what i can recall anyway... *hic*.... :roll:

Postby jeremy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:44 pm

Good drunken dirtbagin partys have been known to have taken place in welsford. I think I'm about due for another one soon... Any word on a...... do I dare say it...... "welsford clean up day"?

jeremy
jeremy

Return to Nova Scotia