Halifax question

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Halifax question

Postby Matt Peck » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:10 am

Hi I'm going to be in halifax for the weekend and I was just curiouse if anyone knows of some easier rope climbing around the halifax area that I could check out.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Re: Halifax question

Postby aidasr » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:18 am

Check out Sorrows End.
aidasr

Postby Matt Peck » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:49 pm

Yeah, I was in there last trip I made to the area, super nice little spot, but not so friendly for my new-to-climbing girlfriend. Any other suggeustions?
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby aidasr » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:52 am

theres some easy topropable stuff at chebucto head, in the gulleys,...eagles nest has anchors on some spots and its pretty easy..but..thats if you want to be at eagles nest.
aidasr

Postby Zamboni » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:45 pm

Bad time of season, all the bugs are outs. Its sea side bouldering time of year right now.
Zamboni

Postby peter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:06 am

Matt Peck wrote:Yeah, I was in there last trip I made to the area, super nice little spot, but not so friendly for my new-to-climbing girlfriend. Any other suggeustions?

Matt:

As of today, Saturday is your climbing day, weather-wise.

Eagles Nest has turned into a bit of a garbage dump, of late, but it does have four or five fun routes. The rock is not the granite NS if famous for, but it is accessible (Bedford's Admiral Park). Most of the broken glass and garbage is not at the cliff proper.

Are you bringing a full rack? If there is a good breeze blowing, the easy trad routes on the north buttress of Main Face get enough wind (Popcorn, Into the Blue), but most of the areas in the Musquodoboit are either too buggy or too hard for a starters course. If it rains hard today or tonight, they also need a day to dry (crack climbing).

Polly's Cove is primarily a bouldering area, but there is a small sea-side cliff, about 6 metres high, that is good to play on. Bring gear for a top anchor. There is an easy-angled wall, then two harder crack climbs. I think it is nicer than Chebucto Head, though farther (almost to Peggy's Cove).

Sea-side, Easter Island & Medicine Wall require canoes. Call me if you need a loaner (453-6610). Both areas have a couple of starter routes. Medicine Wall gets a better breeze, but is more challenging to paddle to.

If it was me, I would pack a picnic lunch, go to Polly's Cove, walk on the ocean, hold hands, climb a bit, watch the sea gulls, say profound and romantic things, boulder a bit, talk about life, and then head home, sun-burned and happy.

Peter
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby martha » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:15 am

peter wrote:
If it was me, I would pack a picnic lunch, go to Polly's Cove, walk on the ocean, hold hands, climb a bit, watch the sea gulls, say profound and romantic things, boulder a bit, talk about life, and then head home, sun-burned and happy.

Peter

Oh Peter, you are so sensitive!!!! *swooning***

*puke*
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Scooter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:28 am

jeeeish peter can i get a date or what by'e?
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby ThomP » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:54 am

Peter - sounds like our last trip out there...

T
ThomP

Postby peter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:29 pm

ThomP wrote:Peter - sounds like our last trip out there...
T

This could be taken two ways, namely: (1) it reminds you of our last trip out there; or (2) that is the last time I am going there with McVey.

Which is it?

I seem to recall (almost) hanging upside down by a stuck foot, while failing to climb a crack on lead, so it probable was a very funny, rather than warm and fuzzy, memory.

P.
peter

Postby ThomP » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Watching you hang upside down always brings back warm and fuzzy memories...and hearing you say "I've got you! (babe)" sends shivers up my spine!

I tried hiking in the woods last week - couldn't do it because of the bugs. This is the second time in three weeks I've been turned back. We should head back to Medicine Wall. I believe you have unfinished business there.

T
ThomP

Postby peter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:05 pm

ThomP wrote:We should head back to Medicine Wall. I believe you have unfinished business there.T

I am game, now that I have discovered tape gloves.

Tomorrow?

No road trip afterall this weekend. Rain and thundershowers forecast in the States for four days.
peter

Return to Nova Scotia