Monday Night Bouldering Series, Week 5: Chebucto Foot

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Monday Night Bouldering Series, Week 5: Chebucto Foot

Postby SteveDave » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:23 am

The day is soon upon us, we're going to brave the bugs and hit up Chebucto Foot. Actually I'm getting mixed reviews on the bugs bit. Some people don't think it's particularly buggy. I, for one, am bringing my bug repellent.

I figure I'll just include the location of the meeting area from now on in each post. To get to the parking lot in question you want to be either on the beginning of St. Margaret's Bay Road, or Joseph Howe Drive, right at the Armdale Rotary. The parking lot is in the center of the following image, with the slanted white lines, and the big 'A' balloon in it (just figured out that I could do that on a non-road area!):

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&ge ... 8&t=h&z=18

Sweet.

Secondly, here are the directions to Chebucto Head from Zig's Book:

To get there, take the Herring Cove exit from the Armdale (Roundabout). Follow Herring Cove Road through Spryfield, passing a number of traffic lights. Follow the road for nineteen kilometers, and you will see a small sign on your right instructing you to turn left for Chebucto Head. Follow Chebucto Head Road which is very narrow and bumpy for about 4km. At the end of the road is a lighthouse and a small parking area for the public.

Now, basically, what you do to get to Chebucto Foot is take a left at the Lighthouse and travel down the well-trod path along the coast until you reach a pretty obvious section of rock faces situated 90deg from the water. You'll know them from their sweet overhang and roof sections. Sharp, well-featured rock with a good number of easier climbs for the more modest of us.

Here's the Google Maps link to show how to get to Chebucto again:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&ge ... 5&t=h&z=18

Yeah.

Oh, and would somebody PLEASE bring a harness and some gear so Aidas has someone to climb with in the gullies at Chebucto Head? The poor guy's been asking for weeks.

So hopefully we'll see you all there! Questions, comments are invited.

Peace guys,

Steve
SteveDave

Re: Monday Night Bouldering Series, Week 5: Chebucto Foot

Postby aidasr » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:20 pm

if i make it i'll bring rope and gear for anyone who wants to climb some routes in the gulleys.
aidasr

Postby aidasr » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:33 pm

if anyone's curious, this is the gully i've been talking about

its like..40ft or so. Topropable..i dont think its leadable on gear, but would enjoy someone proving otherwise.
theres like..3 or 4 routes on that wall, then another 2 or 3 in another gulley by fynisshed area.
aidasr

Postby peter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:45 pm

aidasr wrote:if i make it i'll bring rope and gear for anyone who wants to climb some routes in the gulleys.

They make a good free solo, in the alternative.

If I am there, I will rope climb.

Peter
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby jeremy benjamin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:55 am

If there is no wind then there will be bugs at the foot for sure. Bring bug dope!
jeremy benjamin

Postby SteveDave » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:34 am

Looking like rain and misery tonight guys...
SteveDave

Return to Nova Scotia