Stoners Next big meeting

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Stoners

Postby peter » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:24 pm

Hey, Fred. Ya, Mitt's post after Sunday last was a take off on the Parlee thing, but, as my teenage daughter would say, "We are like so totally over that!" It is just proof of the truth of Marx's line about history repeating itself, first as tragedy, then as farce.

Basically one of us did something dumb, but something I would have done, too: climbing second on a straight-forward climb without a helmet, only to have a hold break off above his head and, "smack", we got ourselves a bleeder!

The Stoner reaction was in keeping with the tone of the group: we confirm it was bleeding, then told him to get back and finish the climb. Then it was, "oh no, I can't tell anyone about this, think of the posts that will follow", etc.

There is some good climbing going on, and that is all that matters.

Peter

PS oh yeah, and that wasn't a Welsford shot, just my prim, proper alterego forgetting (conveniently) that climbers have always been rude, sexist, anarchists drunks ... kind of like the Stoners, who (I am guessing) totally approve of the name, "The Blowjob Slabs", although many modern people wouldn't.

PPS there is just an absolutely fabulous crowd of Ice Capades types in town. Did the fur coat get put in the suitcase for the trip!?
peter

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:10 pm

LOL

I didn't get that joke the first time around about the slab near Gollumn's.

Good one! hehe :D
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Stoners

Postby martha » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:17 pm

peter wrote:PS oh yeah, and that wasn't a Welsford shot, just my prim, proper alterego forgetting (conveniently) that climbers have always been rude, sexist, anarchists drunks ... kind of like the Stoners, who (I am guessing) totally approve of the name, "The Blowjob Slabs", although many modern people wouldn't.

I think the modern people approve of such names. as a matter of fact I got down right giggly when I was climbing 'dykes on bikes' the other day. not to mention how much fun it is for me to say that I am going to do 'catholic girls' this weekend. :D

peter wrote:PPS there is just an absolutely fabulous crowd of Ice Capades types in town. Did the fur coat get put in the suitcase for the trip!?

Ice Capades...errr....well yes, the Stars on Ice cast were in Halifax since Sunday preparing their Canadian tour. The show was awesome as usual last night and the skaters delivered some really impressive performances. Whether you like figure skating or not, the athleticism and talent that these folks display is quite something.

I didn't bring the fur coat out for this one Peter. I decided I'd visit with Kurt in his usual attire of a pair of jeans. You learn to be a cameleon in my line of work. ;)
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:14 pm

Actually if you are going to climb with the "stoners" or even allow them to have a voice here you have to realize that you are open for ridicule for the following reasons:

1. your exceptional climbing ability;
2. your terrible climbing ability;
3. The size of your carni hands;
4. Your rowing ability;
5. Your dance like moves on rock;
6. The fact that you work for an organization that is named after a rodent;
7. Your rainbow sling;
8. The fact that you like bouldering or bolting;
9. Because you hate bouldering or bolting;
10. The number of chins that you are currently sporting;
11. And finally anything you say on this forum or even locking the forums.

However 90% is said in jest looking for a laugh with someone, not at. Yes my comments were made at your expense Fred but not with malicious intent. As well as my comments about locking the thread, and my comments about Steves rainbow sling (No I do not think your gay, but I am ok if you are :D One of the main points of starting this very loosely organized group to go out and climb is to have fun first. Worry about that next killer 5.12 later, not to chase grades or go pro, or not climb with someone because 5.7 is his/her limit.

In my opinion many climbers take this life style too seriously, and see it as a sport. Some people treat the environment like their outdoor gym, look at people who only climb v3 as lesser climbers. Give up their lives for the sole purpose of getting a 5.13. That is everything that this group is not. The people that I have climbed with so far this year have been very honorable men (Kate we are still waiting for you to come out so I can say people) who respect the environment, the people, and the local ethic. The only cost is a bit of pride. A price I pay every day when I struggle up that 5.6 and the guys who easily climb 5.11 are cheering me on and giving me advice like wear a helmet or just go up :)
I will take that anyday over having to follow a local hero around so he can work the latest v10/5.13.

Stepping down from soap box.

Mitt
Self appointed ethics coordinator.
The Mitt

woooo weee

Postby climberwannabe » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:03 pm

yip yip yipee, its started again!!! hehe

Hey I think I'm gonna have to drink a lotttt of beer to get to sleep tonight...

Steve
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Stoners

Postby peter » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:13 pm

I like to do catholic girls wearing a harness. Sweet.

Ya, the Metro Centre last night, about 9:15, I think I ran down about a dozen of the old ladies/gents leaving the Ice Capades, sorry, Stars on Ice, because they were in a crosswalk between me and a beer.

That'll learn 'em.
peter

Postby mike » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:26 pm

Doods- you make me proud! This is the climbing scene I wanna be a part of.

Chick: dig in we (probably) won't bite.

Sean- facking hilarious 10 count.

Ice capaders: Booo- sounds like you need a bit of man in yer mouths- have at it- monday to friday- keep it away from the stoners meetings.
mike

Postby mike » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:28 pm

one other thing:

VAGINA, VAGINA, VAGINA
mike

Postby mike » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:55 am

whoops agian.

Seems that a big red bull dressed up in a cape full of vodka threw me off... what I meant to say earlier was/is...

Replace the word Chick (not specifically you Cara) with the phrase 'any one interested'

My bad.
mike

Postby martha » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:14 am

mike wrote:
Replace the word Chick (not specifically you Cara) with the phrase 'any one interested'

I didn't think you meant me...everyone knows that I'm not a 'chick'. :roll:

Right Peter?

I personaly can't stand 'chicks'. They are an embarrasment to women. and you ALL know the ones I'm talking about!!!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Stoners

Postby peter » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:18 am

pas "chick", mais ma petite peach fraise
peter

Postby jeremy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:47 am

hey stoners, are you recruiting new members anytime soon? Is there an interviewing commitee, or a board exam? I'm interested in meeting up some time for some "real" um... i mean trad climbing..... I'm kinda injured right now but maybe next weekend. Anyways keep me in the loop.
jeremy how, halifax 445-1755
jeremy

Postby campbeas » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:46 am

hi, I havn't been on the boards in months....school has been eating me alive.
t-5 days until its over forever.

I'm curious where you guys/gals go climbing. I havn't been able to get outside yet this year and I'm starting to get alittle stir crazed. Plus my normal climbing partner is on a long trip thru europe and won't be back until mid summer.

I'd love to get out climbing. But its alittle hard to do alone.
So yeah maybe I could meet up with you next weekend if your going out.
Let me know

Adam
campbeas

Postby The Mitt » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:33 pm

On Monday or Tuesday I will post the next possible location so far we have been to
1. Main Face.
2. Cave.
3. Zoo.
4. Main Face.

Usually we go for beers afterward. Next week it will probably be at Sorrows then beers at my place (depending on how mad my wife is after this weekend my place may be real small like the dog house :)

The only requirement for the Stoners group is to check your ego at the door. Oh and read my post above because if you have thin skin or take flowers chucking to heart you will leave crying :) Aparently some members may be old, out of shape, sexist, alcoholics, who worship the high end climbing heros. Not sure who they are but I have applied to be the sexist one in the group.

Mitt

P.S I consider myself in shape, after all round is a shape :)
The Mitt

Postby campbeas » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:37 am

Well I've only been climbing for just over a year. Mostly at GZ. I took Sean T's lead course this winter and I've done some leading in the gym. But I've never lead outside....in fact I still have yet to do anything besides boulder outside. Meaning I have no gear.

I don't really have a climbing ego....I don't think.....cause I'm pretty flowery.
campbeas

Postby The Mitt » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:30 am

You are more than welcome to come out. Depending on the area you may end up seconding for the day. The best place to do your first lead would be columbus. You don't need gear we have tons.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby campbeas » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:36 am

Alright, we'll I'll look for the info for the next meeting on here and maybe I'll see you all there.
campbeas

Previous

Return to Nova Scotia