Halifax Bouldering Guide / Chebucto Head Directions

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Halifax Bouldering Guide / Chebucto Head Directions

Postby Sarvey » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:12 pm

Hey peoples,
I have tried getting hold of a Bouldering Guide for Halifax but am having no luck!
Does anyone have a secondhand bouldering guide they want to sell?
Also, if anyone could post directions to the various bouldering areas at Chebucto Head that would be great.
Cheers!
Si.
Sarvey

Re: Halifax Bouldering Guide / Chebucto Head Directions

Postby jeremy benjamin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:44 am

The bouldering guide for Halifax is available at MEC in Halifax, they usually have copies with the climbing stuff on the main floor and up with the books on the top floor near the change rooms.

Chebucto Head directions. From the armdale rotary take the Herring Cove Rd. through Spryfield and out of highly populated areas. At some point Herring Cove Rd. stops being called Herring Cove Rd and is now Ketch Harbour Rd. You will not notice any difference. I don't know the distance but probably 10 or 15 min after you are out of Spryfield you will see a sign on the right indicating that Chebucto Head Rd is coming up on the left. It is a dirt Rd that has some killer pot holes in it. At the end of Chebucto head Rd there is a spot on the right where you can park your car on the outside of the gate, or you can drive past the gate to the lighthouse and park there. There is a sign on your way up to the lighthouse that tells you when the gate will close, and you should park accordingly so you will not be trapped.

There are 5 bouldering areas that you can access from these parking spots.

The Twin sisters are probably the easiest to find. If you are standing at the lighthouse facing the ocean they are the Two rather large boulders standing together in the barren lands to your right. You can see them from the light house, and there is a path from that parking lot that goes right by them, 5 min walk.

Andy's area is directly under the railing in the parking lot. You get to it by taking the path at the right end of the railing down and under the railing. There is a bunch of paint on the rocks near the area that was thrown over the railing by punk ass kids. 2min walk if you know where it is.

Tsunami area is also under the railing but is closer to the ocean and a little left of Andy’s area if you are facing the ocean. Take the path on the left of the railing and head down the rocks towards the ocean. The area is hidden from sight until you get to it and have to climb down into it. 3 min walk if you know where it is. There is a crevace that separates Andy's area and the Tsunami area. You can cross the crevace but it is a little sketch and way safer to go up to the parking lot and then back down to get from one area to the other.

Chebucto foot is off to the left. Follow the path that parallels the ocean for about 15 or 20 min. There is a little inlet that you will hike down into and then up out of, you are almost there. The area is on the ocean. You will see a boulder high face on the left of the path that has problems on it, the rest of the climbs are on the right of the path and will be obvious when you leave the path and go towards the water.

The other area is the Fynished area. It is hard to find. It is on the way to Chebucto Foot and down by the water. I have not been there enough times to describe how to find it.
jeremy benjamin

Postby bns » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:21 pm

The guide is currently out of stock at MEC. I am receiving a new shipment this week so the guide will be on their shelves later this week. The Trail Shop still has copies as far as I know.
Ghislain
bns

Postby jeremy benjamin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Too bad it isn't available on cd. I would burn you a copy.
jeremy benjamin

Postby pulldown » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:24 am

BURN!
pulldown

Postby bns » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:22 pm

The cd version of the guide is available right now for an exclusive price of 1999.99$!!!
bns

Postby Sarvey » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:06 pm

I'l take 2 then!
Sarvey

Return to Nova Scotia