Well, I found some.

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Well, I found some.

Postby Bryce » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:08 pm

Hey guys,
Been a lnog time since i climbed. I have been thinknig and reading, i wanna get back into it. I live in Amherst, Nova Scotia. I am wondering if their is any rock gyms, or climbing around here.

I was out mountain biking with a friend, over towards Springhill, and I was on a back dirt road, and it lead to a Quarry, so we keep going. I don't know what kinda rock it was, but their was alot of shail, and it looks like it was just basically blasted out. The rides were around 50 Feet (gussing, most likly bigger ones) and i was like, " Well, lets climb it"
So we get about half way up and it starts to go closer to 95 degree climbing, now this being mostly shail or what ever, most of my foot holes and hand hole were falling apart, so it became technical to find decent hand holes. Well since, I'm free climbing, im taking no big chances, but it was all good fun we made it up and down a few times, only cuasing an avalanche of rocks when a good 50 lbs one hit my leg causing some bleeding and a nice little chunk outta it.
So any help on around here would be appreciated, and if theirs any more climbers around here. Any suggestions on what to use( gloves, shoes, evan crampons if I can get the cheap.
Thanks guys.
-Bryce
Bryce

Postby dcentral » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:25 pm

That post is a good example of why we should be able to edit posts, and why we need a spell check.

There are no gyms in your area.

Taking a course would probably good idea for you first off since you don't really seem to know which end is up -- CNS, Vertigo, all the climbing gyms offer course. All cover the basics and others will go into more detail depending on what you signup for.

Then try to hook up with some of the people who organize trips, there's a lot of that going on here.

Couple of tips, shale or blast rock ususally aren't a good thing to climb on. You'll also want to get some climbing shoes and a harness if you plan on going out a lot.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:40 am

dcentral wrote:That post is a good example of why we should be able to edit posts, and why we need a spell check.

I'm working on getting you guys the spell check.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:10 pm

excellent. 8)
dcentral

Postby Bryce » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:04 pm

I do know which way is up, and thanks for the warm welcoming :roll:
So I see why no one wants to climb...

Anyway, where could i purchase climbing shoes, and how old do you have to be to take course's and go to the Gym?
-Bryce
Bryce

Postby mitchleblanc » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:11 pm

Yeah DC, that was pretty harsh.

He was just cranky that day, ignore the cool reception.

You are totally old enough to climb anything, anywhere. There are young guys who climb insanely harder than me, trust me, it won't hold you back. All you need is a parent or guardians signature until you're 18. Easy enough, but don't show up at the gym without it.

You can pick up shoes at the radical edge in Fredericton, and I'm sure there are shops in Halifax, including the Mountain Equipment Co-op. Probably you'll get your beast deal there.

I recommend (see the shoe thread on this forum) buying shoes that are 1 size smaller than your foot (get it sized in those metal things, don't go by what you *think* is your shoe size) and also don't buy a crappy shoe because you think you're a beginner. Good shoes help breed good footwork; get something worthwhile, and you'll benefit.

Head to the gyms and just walk up to whoever is bouldering and ask them for some advice, ask to try whatever they are trying, etc. You'll get strong super fast.

As for climbing psycho cliffs of shale (sp?) I recommend not! haha. It's all good though, just don't die.

Climb hard,

Mitch
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby Bryce » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:06 pm

I ve been treated worse, all good though.
I am in weigh training, skiboarding, martial arts etc So i'm pretty fit. 14 years old.
Well me and my friend, being crazy idiots like we are, we find the biggest part and see who can make it up the fastest. That steeper parts have very little shail, but their almost 75 feet i'm gussing. I am going to be going to the Ground Zero Gym soon, and get some climbing shoes. What do they normally run for good ones?
Thanks,
Bryce
-Bryce
Bryce

Postby mitchleblanc » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:07 pm

You're lookin' at probably 180 bucks? I dunno, I used to buy Moccasyms (from a company called 5.10 .. definitely the best company, in my opinion.. you won't go wrong buying them) and they were a bit cheaper, but they don't make them anymore. I haven't been in Canada for a long while, so I don't remember. Don't worry about it, it's money well spent!
mitchleblanc

Postby dcentral » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:16 am

what you should do is take one of the summer camps. From either Vertigo or one of the climbing gyms.

Good way to learn and you'll get lots of practice plus you'd get to climb with people your own age.
dcentral

Postby The Teth » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:40 pm

Bryce:

Climbing without a rope or any other type of protective gear is called free soloing. While I did some fairly gnarly free solos when I was 14, I am now of the firm believe that doing so was a really bad idea on my part. I could have very easily broken some bones or gotten myself killed. I did not know about using rope and harness back then, but you have tapped into this climbing discussion and have access to this knowledge.

If you are going to climb high stuff outside I strongly suggest you get a harness, rope, carabiners, and some webbing before you buy shoes. If you will be climbing in the gym or with experienced climbers outdoors, then get the shoes first and maybe a harness.

You do not have to put your life on the line to test your limits. Learn to climb safe, then you can push yourself even more without risking death. Besides, learning the rope work is neat stuff.

Teth Cleveland, President of Climb Nova Scotia
The Teth

Postby martha » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:58 pm

mitchleblanc wrote:You can pick up shoes at the radical edge in Fredericton, and I'm sure there are shops in Halifax, including the Mountain Equipment Co-op. Probably you'll get your beast deal there.

just so you know, the Radical Edge will match any MEC pricing on any gear.

Bryce,

You can get a good pair of starter shoes for about 100$.

also...soloing...its good way to die. You are 14..so why not try and live a few more years and get into the rope work like Teth said. :D
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Bryce » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:56 pm

dcentral wrote:what you should do is take one of the summer camps. From either Vertigo or one of the climbing gyms.

Good way to learn and you'll get lots of practice plus you'd get to climb with people your own age.

Yes, that is probably what I will do, only prolbem is I would have to drive down every day (2 hours) Or either spend the night, I don't know how long the camps run, so it may not be that bad.
I do plan on getting a harness, shoes etc soon. Its nothing too high, I have plainly jumped off things that high before. We are going out next weekend, we are going to fix ropes and just run them through our belts incase we fall we can grap it though.
I'm already in debt from my parents from other hobbies, but I still plan on buying them before next summer. I will get pictures of where were going.
BTW: Whats webbing and carabiners?
-Bryce
Bryce

Postby martha » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:00 pm

Bryce wrote:
dcentral wrote:what We are going out next weekend, we are going to fix ropes and just run them through our belts incase we fall we can grap it though.

BTW: Whats webbing and carabiners?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

have a fun safe time out climbing!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby martha » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:02 pm

No offense...but do you even know what type of knot to use to 'fix your ropes'?

perhaps you should get some experience and lessons before you go out with your friends again.

unless this is someone trolling...

martha

Postby Bryce » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:11 pm

I have no clue. I don't evan know what you mean by trolling. I'm all up for ears if their is a write up on the internet somewhere, but other than that i have no way of learning.
-Bryce
Bryce

Postby cooper » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:47 pm

i prefer mad rock shoes they
but u should try all kinds of brands on to find the ones that fit u best and try to go about one shoe size smaller then wat u are
dont guess use one of the shoe testy things to find out

if there is ne thin u wanna know e-mail me and i will help u if i can
i have only been climbing for a while but i do know a fair bit and rember saftey should always come first u and me r both to youg 2 die
cooper

Postby mike » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:22 pm

Dood- yer cracking me up. Reminds me of a much younger Mike from back in the day. I hope you bounce well- I used to.

Get yer folks to take yer adventurous self and a bud or 2 into a climbing gym. You'll get a bit of an idea what it's all about. Not really enough to be out in the Rockys or anything like that- but at least you'll get the names of the gear down.

Plus you'll probably have some serious fun and you can laugh at your friends for sucking right after they're done laughing at you. Or maybe you'll be super supportive and give kind words of encouragment as they try to get up what you just floundered on. Either way- fun times.

Get out there and tear it up, try and stay in one piece.
Mike
mike

Postby Bryce » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:24 pm

I'm going this weekend to Halifax to the beyond gravity, taking a 90 mintue course.
-Bryce
Bryce

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:42 pm

My first time climbing outdoors was on a white static yacht rope purchased at Canadian Tire, in adidas sneakers, with a rack of nuts (no quickdraws) borrowed from the UNB climbing club. That I am not dead today is amazing!
mitchleblanc

Postby mike » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:57 am

Bryce... No blood- no glory. You have fun and climb till yer fingers, or yer knees, or yer face, or whatever bleeds. In the gym I usually scratch up my knees- outside- anything goes.

Mike
mike

Postby The Mitt » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:11 am

What is it that you are doing to scratch your knees? :lol:

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby mike » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:17 am

HAHAHAHAHA

Bowing down and grovelling to those that actually know what they're doing.
mike

Postby Bryce » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:17 am

Climbing midget style :lol:
Mike - Would an arse full of mud and rocks be the same?
-Bryce
Bryce

Postby mike » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:24 am

I think that's called an earthly enima.

All the cool hippies are doing it.
mike

Return to Nova Scotia