Nova Scotia Ice Festival

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Nova Scotia Ice Festival

Postby Chuck Sutton » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:01 pm

This is an invitation to climbers and non-climbers to participate in a Nova Scotia Ice Festival. With support from CNS, I would like to invite everyone to a day of ice climbing on February 7th at Halls Harbour followed by an evening of slide show presentations around 7:00 at my place at 6035 Jubilee Road in Halifax. Everyone is welcome to participate in the both the climbing and slide shows but if you only wish to come for the slide shows, that's fine. There's no charge for either or anything, for that matter.

So, here's what to do:

1. Please let me know if you're interested in attending by RSVPing my e-mail address csutton@staff.ednet.ns.ca. If you don't know me or I don't know you, that's ok. E-mail me anyway to let me know for numbers.
2. If you have some photos at home and you'd like to put together a presentation (maybe 20 mins) of a recent trip or you doing pull ups in your mom's basement, or whatever you like, we'll have an LCD projector.
3. If you can provide transportation for others (and how many) OR need a drive to and from Hall's Harbour, please let me know in your RSVP e-mail.
4. If you're new to ice climbing and are curious as to what gear you might need, your standard climbing harness, helmet, belay device etc. will be fine. In addition, an older style (rear entry) pair of ski boots is best for fitting crampons.
5. BYOB and maybe some munchies. We will be providing a large pot of Chili.

I'm sure I'm forgetting all kinds of information in this post. You're welcome to e-mail me for further details and I'll continue to post things as they come up including times and drive information.

'Hope to hear from lots of people and see you on the 7th.

Chuck
Chuck Sutton

Re: Nova Scotia Ice Festival

Postby mick » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Sounds rad Chuck, I'll be there for sure to help out (and maybe even climb some ice).
CNS will make all our ice gear available, which includes a set of alpine crampons that will fit hiking boots.

Most of my better climbing photos have been posted up on my crackbook page for a while now but I'll show them off if anyone is interested.

I will make some good ole' fashion cornbread for the chili.
Mmmm cornbread, ain't nothin wrong with cornbread.
mick

Postby aidasr » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 pm

i'll try and come to the ice climbing,
but i'll definatly have photos for the slideshow.
aidasr

Postby Chuck Sutton » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:33 pm

The response to the ice festival has been very positive. I've had a number of people e-mail me confirming attendance and we're well into the teens. Thank you to the many who have offered to provide transportation. We have a number of cars available so if you require a drive, please don't hesitate to let me know.

In addition, a few people have offered to show some slides (no Seb, passing around old polaroids doesn't count), so we should have a good show.

Thanks to Mick at CNS for offering gear and cornbread. Please continue to check in here closer to the 7th for drive times, meeting locations, directions to my home, etc.

'Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 7th.

Chuck
Chuck Sutton

Postby Chuck Sutton » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Response to the Ice Fest has continued to be positive. At this point (Tuesday), we have 15 people confirmed for climbing - give or take a couple. That's a great number as Halls Harbour will easily accommodate this number. As far as people attending the party at my house following, it looks like somewhere in the 20's.

The following people have offered to provide transportation:

David Willsie
Simon Noiseux
Sean Drohan
Billy Meuse
Nathan Bysterveldt (perhaps full)
Veronica Sutherland (if we're in a pinch)

As high tide at Halls is 10:35 on Saturday, there's no need for any kind of alpine start. We will meet at Steve-O-Reno's on Brunswick St. at 9:00 and leave there around 9:15. From there, we'll travel to Tim Horton's on Kearney Lake Rd. at 102 exit 2 to pick up those for whom that location is more convenient. We'll leave that location shortly after 9:30. Please let me know where YOU would like to picked up.

If you're running late or need to get in touch, my cell phone number is 456-6384. I'll check any messages before we leave either location.

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at csutton@staff.ednet.ns.ca.

'Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

Chuck
Chuck Sutton

Postby mackesey » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:09 pm

is this event open to anyone that wants to come? i just joined this site today for information because i have a buddy at work that wants to learn to climb on the weekend so this event would be perfect for the two of us.
mackesey

Postby Seb » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:15 pm

Yes mackesey – the event is open to whoever wants to come. You and your friend are certainly welcome to join us tomorrow. Meeting times at Steve-O-Reno’s on Brunswick St. and at Tim Horton’s on Kearney Lake Rd. are posted above. If you have any further questions I’d recommend contacting Chuck Sutton directly (his email and phone # are also available above).

SL
Seb

Postby mackesey » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:31 pm

well my plans got shot down anyways, i was planning on going but now have to be around for the landlord to change the locks in our building. anyone going to the quarry on sunday?
mackesey

Postby Chuck Sutton » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Hello everyone,

Things are looking good for tomorrow with respect to weather, people coming (it looks like we're 20 plus now), gear available, etc. I talked with Mick just a short time ago and he indicated he's working on his second batch of cornbread. That's right Mick, ain't nothin' wrong with cornbread.

There is however, one slight complication. I had arranged to get access to an LCD projector which in the end, I was unable to get access to. Without one, we may in fact be passing around Seb's old family polaroids (or practicing our shadow puppets). If it is a possibility for any of you to provide a projector, could you please let me know. I am working hard to get one from many sources (even from someone as far away as Revelstoke - I'll explain tomorrow) but if you have one or access to one, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance and see you all tomorrow.

Chuck
Chuck Sutton

Postby Chuck Sutton » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:03 pm

Projector problem is solved. Revelstoke came through.

Chuck
Chuck Sutton

Postby Simon » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:36 am

mackesey wrote:well my plans got shot down anyways, i was planning on going but now have to be around for the landlord to change the locks in our building. anyone going to the quarry on sunday?

Yes, we are planning to head out to Bedford around lunch time Sunday, we will be three.
Simon
Simon

Postby Chuck Sutton » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:43 am

Yesterday was a huge success! We had 20 people to Halls Harbour climbing, the weather couldn't have been better and the ice in good shape. I'd like to especially thank:

Mick Levin at Climb Nova Scotia for providing tools, crampons and rope (oh, and cornbread),
Rich Lapaix for offering his tools, crampons and boots for an event he unfortunately could not attend,
Heather Reynolds at the Rock Court for providing helmets and extra harnesses,
Darrell Steele for offering his LCD projector (Hey guys, did I tell you about...),

as well as all other participants who provided their own ropes, use of anchor equipment, transportation and food. I'm sure I'm speaking for all who attended when I say your participation is greatly appreciated.

'Looking forward to seeing everyone out around soon. Thanks again for making the event a great success.

Chuck

Below are a few photos of the day:
IMG_8391.1.jpg
IMG_8353.1.jpg
IMG_8311.1.jpg
Chuck Sutton

Postby chameleon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks for organizing the event Chuck, it was a blast. Maybe next weekend you'll actually get to climb some wah?!

Looking forward to hearing the Revelstoke story again. And again, and again, and again....... :)
chameleon

Postby peter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 pm

Looks like fun. Good numbers. Well done, Chuck.

Peter "back to sea level" Mc.

(Ecuador photos to follow.)
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Return to Nova Scotia