ice climbing areas?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

ice climbing areas?

Postby climbingbetty » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:51 am

Hi, my boyfriend & I are planning a trip to Nova Scotia in February. Can anyone recommend any ice climbing areas? He's actually a climbing guide, but I'm just at the beginner/intermediate level, so something fairly easy to moderate would be best. Also wondering if Cape Smokey ski area is still operating, their web site looks outdated...
Thanks!
climbingbetty

Re: ice climbing areas?

Postby *Chris* » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:27 am

Hi ClimbingBetty:
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a gross assumption that you are either from Ontario, one of the western provinces, or the United States. In any case... you'll note that New Brunswick is in fact... an entirely unique and separate province from Nova Scotia. Don't worry though... it's a common mistake. It would be unfair to require folks from important parts of our country to recognise this bit of trivia. As you zip through our quaint little province on your way to splendid NS please try and ignore the state of our decrepit highways... we decided long ago that charging tolls just wasn't very Maritime friendly. So enjoy the free-ride! Sadly... you'll find that free ride ends shortly after you cross into NS. In any case... should your car break down at some point while in NB not to fear... for all of our ice is conveniently located within a short hop of the TCH. You shouldn't be more than an hour from decent ice no matter where you are.

Between Edmunston and Fredericton you have Grand Falls and Hayes Falls.
Between Fredericton and Moncton you have Cochrane Lane and the Quarry.
Between Moncton and Nova Scotia you have Parlee Brook and some coastal ice.

Just a suggestion... you might consider moving your post into the Nova Scotia forum... they are a cheery bunch of lads (and gals) who'd be happy to point you on your way. Certainly, everything in life is better in Nova Scotia (this holds true for ice as well)!
*Chris*

Postby AndrewD » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:44 pm

unfortunatly due too funding cape smokey hasnt been open for a few years
AndrewD

Postby Seb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey,

What’s your email? I have GPS coordinates for some of the areas which I could send to you.

Seb
Seb

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:52 pm

cb22? Is that you? (and if its not, sorry).
granite_grrl

Return to Nova Scotia