late season ice?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

late season ice?

Postby Rich » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:13 pm

For any and all ice-climbing folk out there:

What's the best best for late season ice in NS? If there's a cold snap do you think the Fundy coast could be climable or has this totally disintegrated? Any cold inland areas that keep shape? Anything hidden in the Cobequids?? tell me all your secret spots - c'mon help a brother out....
Rich

Re: late season ice?

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 am

I don't know any sweet spots, but keep your eye on the average temps for the places you think there could be ice.

If the ground is still frozen, small drips can from flows almost over night. They will proably fall down by noon the next day when the sun hits.

Look for places that don't get direct sun.

If there is still snow on the ground at an ice area that would be a good indicator that the ground is still probably frozen.

Predicting late season ice is harder than predicting the weather, but it can be done to a small degree.

Hope that helps.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Eager » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 pm

Hey Rich,

I've seen climbable ice in the Cobequids in April before. Your guess is as good as mine, probably north facing steep canyon walls, on Rivers between Truro and Parrsboro. Cape Breton probably has ice too in similar locations. Regardless your probably gonna have to hike so snowshoes might be in order. Folly River, Bass River of Five Islands, and The East branch of the Moose would be a start.
Eager

Postby chameleon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:18 am

It's time to divert your misguided addiction, my shaky and irrational friend. How 'bout some crack instead?! :shock:
chameleon

Postby peter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:38 am

Rich wrote:For any and all ice-climbing folk out there: What's the best best for late season ice in NS? If there's a cold snap do you think the Fundy coast could be climable or has this totally disintegrated? Any cold inland areas that keep shape? Anything hidden in the Cobequids?? tell me all your secret spots - c'mon help a brother out....

Go West, my son: Parlee Brook.

If in NS, stay in the woods (Drysdale Falls, near Tatamagouche, Gilbraltar Rock).

Me, I am going to New Hampshire.
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:58 pm

Parlee is usually climbeable into May believe it or not.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to Nova Scotia