Cape Breton Climber

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Cape Breton Climber

Postby breton_fraser » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:48 pm

I'm new to the forum. So I've just gotten off of living and climbing for 3 years in the Calgary and now that I'm moving home (North Sydney, CB) for the summer. I have to start gathering some info on the east coast climbing scene. I'll probably be able to make it to the mainland occasionally for a little trip or two (i hear dover is awesome) but I was wondering about some routes near my own back yard. Any decent bouldering? Any chance of some sport? Thanks guys.

-A.J.
breton_fraser

Re: Cape Breton Climber

Postby Zamboni » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Black brook past ingonish, check in with park rangers first. And there stuff to boulder on the coast near lorraine louisbourg.

Cb
Zamboni

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:14 pm

You should get a copy of Cassidy's "Nova Scotia Rock" guidebook available at MEC and also Ghislain Losier's "Bouldering Halifax" guidebook also available at MEC.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby peter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:23 pm

breton_fraser wrote:I'm new to the forum. So I've just gotten off of living and climbing for 3 years in the Calgary and now that I'm moving home (North Sydney, CB) for the summer. I have to start gathering some info on the east coast climbing scene. I'll probably be able to make it to the mainland occasionally for a little trip or two (i hear dover is awesome) but I was wondering about some routes near my own back yard. Any decent bouldering? Any chance of some sport? Thanks guys. -A.J.

There is a climbing tradition in CB, but the CBH National Park has done its best to strangle it of late, and the raw material (rock) that you have to work with is simply not the best. I suggest you plan some road trips to the mainland this summer, looking for climbing partners and places to crash. Both are real possibilities. May - June, before the bugs get nasty, is the initial trad season down here, and June - August will offer some great bouldering, especially oceanside. Confirm you are not a serial killer and you will make some local contacts. Plan some three or four day long weekends, with a five hour trip each way (car, shuttle, bus), and you will do just fine. I imagine that you didn't trade Calgary for Sydney in the pursuit of climbing, but you can make the best of it.

PS: The route, "Hawaiian Barbie" in the CBHNP is absolutely briliiant and in need of a second ascent. Don't expect to put in any actual protection.
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby jeremy benjamin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:18 pm

You should look into becoming a member of CNS (climb Nova Scotia). http://www.climbnovascotia.ca/index.html
and book off work to attend boulderfest on Dover Island in June. This would be a great way to meet a large number of local climbers at once and camp overnight on Dover.
jeremy benjamin

Postby gwa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Someone thought it was worth writing a guidebook for Cape Breton's rock. You might still find these routes under some moss.

http://www.chesslerbooks.com/eCart/view ... oduct=8356

You should designate yourself the local climber and get to know all the climbing around Cape Breton. Get the momentum going and then everyone will want to come visit.

happy exploring!
Graham
gwa

Postby Zamboni » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:06 pm

Wow, Didn't know that book existed! Maybe CNS should buy one, keep it on file for members to reference, or use it to make a more up to date guide. Or supply it to lord Cassinator, and he can add the routs to his addendum.
Zamboni

Postby mick » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:04 pm

That's not a bad idea...
mick

Postby breton_fraser » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:51 pm

i really appreciate the response guys. when's the dover island fest? and i wouldn't mind seeking out some good routes in my wanderings. i hear the ice can be pretty decent as well. i'm going to assume nfld is better? it could be a depressing year if i don't get to pull some granite. i'll hopefully see you all in a month or two.
breton_fraser

Postby peter » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:04 am

Zamboni wrote:Wow, Didn't know that book existed! Maybe CNS should buy one, keep it on file for members to reference, or use it to make a more up to date guide. Or supply it to lord Cassinator, and he can add the routs to his addendum.

I have a copy somewhere in my basement. Will donate in exchange for free beer at the CNS AGM.
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby mick » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:04 am

Hey Peter,

You've got yourself a deal mister.

The CNS Annual General Meeting is going to be held on Tuesday April 14th at 6pm at a classroom (to be announced) at Dalplex. I'll make a new thread with the rest of the details in the next couple days when I know the venue for sure.
mick

Postby chameleon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:42 am

I seem to remember there was NO beer at the last AGM and it suq'd!!
chameleon

Return to Nova Scotia