Upper Cheater's Head - Eager?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Upper Cheater's Head - Eager?

Postby chameleon » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Hey Chris, did you or John or Ellen (or anyone else who has been there) snap any cliff/climbing photos at this place when you put up those routes in 2003? All in all, is it a good place to visit? Sounds like the grades are pretty accessible there.

Thx.
S
chameleon

Re: Upper Cheater's Head - Eager?

Postby Eager » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey Sean,

I don't think there are any photos of our trip, but the climbing was good quality. It's a good spot to climb in the summer loads of good areas to camp and lot's of hard bouldering to be had in the area. The cliff face is visible from the lighthouse cul de sac in terence bay, it's way right of Crows Nest. Access is from Whale cove if you take a boat, hiking is probably not a good idea. When you arrive at Whale cove it is about a fifteen minute hike east along the coast to the crag. The trip we put up the routes was in early summer, and we took Sea Kayaks and camping gear for an overnight, later on that summer Zig, Ben Blakeney and I made several day trips in my canoe to check out the bouldering.

Zig put up most of these over a few trips. Vacuum Tube is one of the coolest problems in the province.
Minute Papillion V10
Rogue Wave V7
Vacuum Tube V9
and a few others in the area.

If you include crows nest and the potential for new climbing in the area it's sort of a more adventurous Dover Island I guess.
And yes I'd agree that Cheaters head offers good easy trad options, although getting there is half the battle.
Hey and if you get a chance could you PM me your email.
Eager

Postby chameleon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:18 pm

You mean to say that there were boulderers there and they didn't take videos of themselves! What's up with that? :)

Thanks for the beta Chris, I'll PM my email now.

S
chameleon

Postby Eager » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:41 pm

I just looked through a bunch of old photos and found some pics of the cliff. They don't really do it justice but I will forward them at some point.

As for video, was that even invented when you started climbing Sean?
Eager

Return to Nova Scotia