Moved back to Halifax...looking for climbing info

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Moved back to Halifax...looking for climbing info

Postby hutchpj » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:19 pm

I'm back after 20 years away and while away in Ottawa, really took up top roping - been to the Gatineaus, Kingston, Rattlesnake in Milton etc etc

Soo...i see lots of climbing here and am very excited!

So..what would you recommend in order to get into it here aside from this:
    - Register with Climb Nova Scotia (when the website comes back up)
    - Keep an eye out for climbing groups and people looking for climbing partners

Are there any festivals, or large group outings?

I have the Rock Climbing in Nova Scotia book ;)

Thanks!!

- Peter
hutchpj

Re: Moved back to Halifax...looking for climbing info

Postby kate » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:50 pm

Ground Zero Climbing Gym is a great way to meet climbing partners. newcommers always seem to have great luck hooking up with people who are training indoors but are also climbing outside whenever possible. as far as I know, you can purchase a Climb Nova Scotia membership at GZ...468-8788 for more info.
good luck and happy climbing!
kt
kate

Re: Moved back to Halifax...looking for climbing info

Postby peter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:55 pm

This Board is a good place to meet outdoor climbers.

There will be some hardcore (cold weather) Bouldering soonish, and roped rock climbing by late April, early May. Connection with a climbing gym, Ground Zero, Dockyards, or Dalhousie, is a good idea in the interim or as an end in itself, if that is your preference.

For roped climbing, including top-roping or climbing second to a leader, generally there will be a post on this Board saying, "Going to First Face Saturday ..." or some such thing, and you are welcome to offer up, too. New faces always welcome. Figure out partners from there, and it usually works out.

Climb Nova Scotia will have its Annual General Meeting in April (normally/legally), so attend that just to meet people and eat pizza. There will be a notice here.

Boulderfest is usually the 3rd weekend in June, and there is often a "Monday night Bouldering" series, starting shortly before that and running to the end of August. Both are good ways to meet climbers, including roped climbers.

So, welcome to the community. NS climbing only has room for a few more climbers named "Jeremy", a couple more named "Sean", but there is room for many, many named "Peter".
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Return to Nova Scotia