Monday Night Bouldering Series 2009 Begins!!

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Monday Night Bouldering Series 2009 Begins!!

Postby Scooter » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Monday Night Bouldering Series 2009

Once again the Monday Night Bouldering Series is going to be kicking off starting at the traditional Prospect Bay area June 8th 2009. For those of you who do not know, Monday Night Bouldering is an opportunity to meet fellow boulderers and become familiar with Nova Scotia’s finest bouldering. Climbers of all skill levels are encouraged to come out and meet new people, become introduced to the areas and just have a good time.

Every Monday throughout the summer those interested are to meet at the parking lot at the Armdale Rotary (In front of the Church) by 6:00pm. We will then carpool to the designated area scheduled for that evening. If you do not own a car do not worry, usually there are more than enough cars and friendly individuals willing to travel (a kind gesture of gas money will be appreciated I am sure). If you have a pad, bring one. Cars will leave the parking lot at 6:00pm SHARP!! So don’t be late to ensure you get a ride. Climbing will end whenever your tips are too raw or your car decides they have had enough watching you flail on your favourite project (pretty sure Ben Smith has walked home past 2am numerous times).

The schedule below is tentative and in the event of rain or heaven forbid, a snow storm, there will be no re-scheduling. Upon rendezvous at the rotary, should there be an interest of an area not scheduled or listed, if climbers agree to mosey on to another area then that is welcome. Bring your scooby snacks, water, headlamps/ flashlights and warm clothes as it can become quite chilly on the coast.

Proposed Schedule & Area

June 8 Prospect Bay
June 15 Duncan's Cove
June 22 Chebucto Head
June 29 Polly's Cove

July 6 Chebucto Foot
July 13 Crystal Crescent Beach
July 20 Land of Confusion: Scrappy Boulders/Area 51
July 27 Land of Confusion: Cheesecake/Nouveau Riche/Borg Boulders

August 3 Duncan's Cove
August 10 Land of Confusion: Mission Impossible wall/Scoop/Mega
August 17 Polly's Cove/ Joey Ramone
August 24 Land of Confusion: Jungle/ Gross Poisson/ Lake & Satellite
August 31 Prospect Bay ***Night Bouldering***

On Sundays or early Monday morning I will try to post directions to the areas and a brief description and, if available, a map of some sort. For LOC, here is a link of GPS co-ordinates: http://nstrails.webs.com/

Hope to see you all out there every Monday!!
Scott.R
Scooter

Re: Monday Night Bouldering Series 2009 Begins!!

Postby Scooter » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Snappp!!! I forgot to mention this:

THIS YEAR THERE WILL BE A PRIZE DRAWN AT EACH MONDAY NIGHT GATHERING FOR ONE LUCKY INDIVIDUAL. PRIZES ARE A COMPLETELY RANDOM SELECTION AND OF COURSE ARE LIMITED. ONLY ONE INDIVIDUAL PER EVENING.

:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :| :mrgreen:
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Scooter » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:29 am

Tonight is the first official week of the series. We will be leaving the rotary at 6pm sharp to head to Prospect Bay.

Prospect has a lot of easier to medium boulder problems in good quantity.

To get there: Take St. Margaret's Bay Rd from the rotary and turn left at your second set of lights on to Rte 333 towards Peggy's Cove. A ways down you will approach a left hand turn on to Prospect Bay Rd and continue straight until you reach a little gravel lane to your right with the name Indian? something. This is where you park your car --- please be careful and considerate not to block people's driveway.

Halifax Bouldering guidebook will have more detailed directions and boulder problem information.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Scooter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:30 am

Good session last night! We headed to Prospect Bay with +/- 15 people in attendance pulling on some familiar classics.

Jason Kenney was the winner of last nights draw for a sickle CNS organic T!
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby betaburgler » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:25 am

Bumping this back to the top.

Monday night bouldering GET SOME!
Nathan Benjamin
betaburgler

Postby Scooter » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:35 am

YEAAA BOIIII!!

Tomorrow we will again rendezvous at the Armdale Rotary for 6pm and head to Duncan's Cove! at the other end of Chebucto Head!

To get there: from the armdale rotary take the Herring Cove Rd turnoff and continue along this road. The road will turn into Ketch Harbour road and you will pass Portuguese Cove. A little while after this there will be a sign for Duncan's Cove. Just past that sign there is a road on your left hand side and you will take this left. Keep driving along until you see the gates leading up to the lighthouse. PLEASE DO NOT PASS THE GATES! PARK YOUR CAR BEFORE THE GATES AS THEY ARE LOCKED AT DUSK!!!

Booya see you all there.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby aidasr » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:31 pm

I believe tomorrow there will be a few of us doing some roped climbing at chebucto head, not far from duncans cove. So if anyone is interested in some roped climbing, just bring a harness!
aidasr

Postby betaburgler » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:27 pm

Monday is looking pretty good so far! DYN-O-MYTE
Nathan Benjamin
betaburgler

Postby mick » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Monday Night Bouldering is a go for tonight, conditions are looking perfect.

High tide tonight is at 8:32pm so some of the problems at Chebucto's Foot may or may not be a little damp. We might stop at the Twin Sisters of Pain and/or Tsunami area too as those are on the way down to Chebucto's Foot. We'll meet at the Rotary church parking lot as usual around 5:45pm with a 6pm departure.

PLEASE PARK OUTSIDE THE GATES before the lighthouse parking lot. These gates are locked at 8pm and they WILL LOCK YOUR CAR INSIDE if you aren't outta there by then. The approach to Chebucto Foot is about a 15 min walk along the coast from the lighthouse and it will be wet so wear your booties kids.

BRING YOUR GAME FACE
mick

Postby mick » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Land of Confusion at the Scrappy Boulders and Area 51 tonight! Bring your headlamp and some bug spray :)

The LOC is on the way to Peggy's Cove, and parking for these two areas is in the large gravel parking lot opposite the baseball diamond just after the fish n' chip stand, about 5km before the lighthouse turnoff at Peggy's Cove. The approach is via some ATV trails that start at the trailhead on the lake end of the gravel parking lot - it's not called the LOC for nothing, so if you haven't been there before it might be best to follow someone who knows the way.

CNS memberships ($20 for 2 years), Boulderfest tickets ($40 for CNS members, $50 for non-members), and the brand new CNS iron-on patches ($5 each, collect all three colours!) will be available for sale this evening so bring some cash if you want some goodies!

See y'all at the rotary around 5:45pm

cheers
mick
El Prezidente del CNS'o
mick

Postby jipstyle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:27 am

Great session last night guys ... I can barely type today 'cause my hands are shredded.

*shakes fist at Jack's Arete* ... I'll be back for you!
jipstyle

Postby mick » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks to everyone who came out last night - the bugs showed us mercy after all and there were lots of sends at Doghouse and the Scrappy boulders. CNS gave away some of our newest schwag; Climb Nova Scotia iron-on patches! They will be available soon at Ground Zero and the Rock Court for $5 each. If you are going to iron them onto your boulder pad, don't forget to put something melt-resistant (like a piece of cardboard) between the hot iron and the foam inside your pad.

A quick word on safety and preparedness: Unfortunately there were a couple of turned ankles last night and thankfully nothing more serious. Although we all head out as a group and we all make efforts to look out for one another, each and every person is ultimately responsible for his or her own safety! This means asking for more spotters or more pads if you feel you need them and climbing within your comfort zone, bringing any supplies you will need (ie. water, snacks, first aid kit, bugspray, sunscreen, headlamp), and dress appropriately. Always bring warm clothing, always wear hiking shoes or sturdy boots (waterproof footwear is best), always bring a flashlight, and consider bringing rainwear.

The goal is to have a good time, but please don't forget that climbing is an inherently dangerous activity and that most of the trails we use are not maintained. Sometimes we can be quite a distance from the parking area and often a long drive from medical assistance should someone be seriously injured. A little preparation can go a long way towards making yourself more comfortable and minimizing risk. See you all next week!

Cheers
mick
mick

Postby mick » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:36 pm

Bouldering is a go for tonight! See you at the Rotary around 5:45pm for a 6pm departure.

We'll be visiting Nouveau Riche and Cheesecake boulders in the Land of Confusion. Parking for this area is at the turn off to Peggy's Cove Road, and the trailhead is just across the street under the Terrence Bay sign on the left. The approach is about 10 minutes via a clear path, but it will likely be wet so wear waterproof hiking footwear and bring warm clothes and rainwear and a headlamp or flashlight. It will likely be chilly on the coast, and Nouveau Riche is always windy.

Please note that this is not a guided climbing expedition and that you are responsible for your own safety. Come on out and have a good time!
mick

Postby mick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:51 am

The series is a go for tonight! See you all at the Rotary for a 6pm departure. Duncan's cove is scheduled for tonight, but we may head to Chebucto Head instead - either way it is the same parking area OUTSIDE of the lighthouse gates. Bring boots, rain gear, flashlight.

WOOT
mick

Postby Scooter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:21 am

BAM! See you all tonight. 6pm rotary
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby tracstarr » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:41 pm

done and done. where to tonight?!
tracstarr

Postby Scooter » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:24 pm

decide when we get there!
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Scooter » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:23 pm

Sorry boys and girls but tonight will be cancelled due to weather
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby clk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Hey! That shounds very good. I will arrive August 31, so I have the chance to take part at the last bouldering night. I cross my fingers for good weather and will look up where to meet you guys. :D

Chris
clk

Postby clk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:03 pm

Hey! Unfortunately I could not find the parkinglot. Could some give me the address? I will probably stay at Barrington Street. So I hope that is not to far to walk to the meeting point.

Thanks!

Chris
clk

Postby Scooter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:34 am

Chris,

The parking lot, if looking up towards herring cove rd or st margaret's bay rd is to the right, in front of a church.

You can get on a number of bus routes that will take you close that go down chebucto rd and quinpool rd to the rotary. A walk from Barrington st will take some time.

PM me and I'll see if I can't swing down there after work.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby stoneseeker » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:15 pm

Hey! the night sesh at Prospect still happenin' tonight? Do you guys plan to meet later than 6:00pm, or just stay out later than normal?

I'll bring a nice bright lantern and a headlamp. Stoked to finally see Sang de Dragon without boulders enclosing it.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby betaburgler » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:57 pm

Awesome Luke! I hope you make it, I was thinking of putting a hard go in on Sang de Dragon.
Nathan Benjamin
betaburgler

Return to Nova Scotia