new route - E-Gully, Main Face

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Re: new route - E-Gully, Main Face

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:06 pm

I'm tired of this. Have at er. I don't even care anymore.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:22 pm

foul language implies or is synonym for profanity

As a result, "profane" and "profanity" has therefore come to describe a word, expression, gesture, or other social behavior which is socially constructed or interpreted as insulting, rude and vulgar or desecrating or showing disrespect.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:05 pm

You're my hero Ben.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby the kydd » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:49 pm

This gets my vote for the best thread of the year!
the kydd

Postby *Chris* » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:42 am

the kydd wrote:This gets my vote for the best thread of the year!
It's pretty good... but I don't know if it tops this thread .
*Chris*

Postby chameleon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:54 am

Just relax Jeff and try to breathe normally through your nose.
chameleon

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:22 pm

*Chris* wrote:
It's pretty good... but I don't know if it tops this thread .

There are a bunch of good ones in the NB forum.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby jipstyle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Wow. So when trad_reborn isn't annoyed because a FA doesn't include annual (monthly?) cleaning of the new line, he is accusing those of us from Ontario of being thieves.

Classy.

Pro tip: it ain't where you live; it is how you live.
jipstyle

Postby Scooter » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:22 pm

One can't try to lighten the mood? What is this? Total dictatorship, a life of totalitarianism, a total outrage!

No hard feelings anyone.

But in all seriousness, this thread is weak, stop arguing about nothing, you won't win, he won't win, we won't win. We're all just losers.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Scooter wrote:But in all seriousness, this thread is weak, stop arguing about nothing, you won't win, he won't win, we won't win. We're all just losers.

Yeah, there is saying/joke about internet arguments and the special olimpics, but I'd have to moderate myself. :mrgreen:

It is still entertaining.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:19 am

Stevo wrote:Hey, some life at last in CEC forum, I might start visiting more often!
I just wanted to add that I did do a good job of cleaning this route. In fact I unrolled huge caterpillars of moss and dug out bucketloads of dandelions off this climb. Not just dandelions but I also left a huge mound of those endangered rare plants that Rich was getting excited about, rotting at the bottom. It really was sparkling clean back around 2004 but the greenery has really come back in the last couple of years. This route is a drainage channel but the vegetation is generally re-appearing all over the place. I was quite shocked last year at how overgrown Columbus and the Skapper were becoming. One can blame the last couple of very wet summers but it is also lack of traffic, so grab the brush and get out there!

Steve

It's a pity that you can't cut down some of the trees at the base and let the cliff see a little more sun.....but yes, I understand the problems with this and not advocating it.

I guess these routes just need to see a little more traffic. I'm surprised at Columbus getting overgrown because I thought it was a little more popular, but I could see Main Face getting a little more overgrown.
granite_grrl

Postby Adam » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:42 pm

jipstyle wrote:Wow. So when trad_reborn isn't annoyed because a FA doesn't include annual (monthly?) cleaning of the new line, he is accusing those of us from Ontario of being thieves.

Classy.

Pro tip: it ain't where you live; it is how you live.

Cool, you won!
Adam

Postby jipstyle » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Hooray! :mrgreen:
jipstyle

Postby ben smith » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:01 pm

I like this thread in that it gives an interesting window into whats appropriate behavior on CEC.

At what point are we to be censored for pointing out idiotic statements of others? I know this is Fred's website and he's worried that my scary and dangerous language will burn the retinas from any children who manage to find thier way here, but I think censoring words like retard and mouth is taking things a bit far.

With respect to George Carlin I've got an animal story to tell all of you about a bitch, and a beaver, and a big ole cock, and an ass.
ben smith

Postby Adam » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:44 am

ben smith wrote:At what point are we to be censored for pointing out idiotic statements of others?

lol, Ben, I think it is more your lack of tact than what you are trying to point out.

saying someone's a 'retard... dumbass... stupid'... those are not terms that lend themselves to intelligent dialogue. rather, they are knee jerk reactionary epithets that inadequately define your issue with the opinions being expressed. moreover, they will not gain you anything but being seen as a loud mouth who starts calling names when they don't like what they're hearing/reading.

i hardly care whether i see those words on this forum, even if they're directed at me, but i think Fred's intention (and i may very well be wrong but it doesn't happen often heh) was to try and keep the discussion out of the gutter where you were dragging it kicking and screaming. if you want to be listened to, and not censored, i would suggest not resorting to verbal attacks and instead discussing things as an adult. i'm sure you'll find a more positive and productive response.

cheers!
Adam

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:01 am

trad_reborn wrote:
ben smith wrote:At what point are we to be censored for pointing out idiotic statements of others?

lol, Ben, I think it is more your lack of tact than what you are trying to point out.

saying someone's a 'retard... dumbass... stupid'... those are not terms that lend themselves to intelligent dialogue. rather, they are knee jerk reactionary epithets that inadequately define your issue with the opinions being expressed. moreover, they will not gain you anything but being seen as a loud mouth who starts calling names when they don't like what they're hearing/reading.

i hardly care whether i see those words on this forum, even if they're directed at me, but i think Fred's intention (and i may very well be wrong but it doesn't happen often heh) was to try and keep the discussion out of the gutter where you were dragging it kicking and screaming. if you want to be listened to, and not censored, i would suggest not resorting to verbal attacks and instead discussing things as an adult. i'm sure you'll find a more positive and productive response.

cheers!

This is actually a really good post with some really good points.

I would also like to remind everyone that they are taking advantage of Fred's generosity every time they post on this board. Message boards like this don't run themselves.
granite_grrl

Postby jipstyle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:30 pm

granite_grrl wrote:I would also like to remind everyone that they are taking advantage of Fred's generosity every time they post on this board. Message boards like this don't run themselves.

Excellent point. They also don't pay for themselves. One of my favourite climbing forums shut down recently because the owner had to choose between new gear or maintaining the forum.
jipstyle

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:04 pm

jipstyle wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:I would also like to remind everyone that they are taking advantage of Fred's generosity every time they post on this board. Message boards like this don't run themselves.

Excellent point. They also don't pay for themselves. One of my favourite climbing forums shut down recently because the owner had to choose between new gear or maintaining the forum.

So that's what happened (you're talking about Halcyon, right....yep, serious lurker here).
granite_grrl

Postby Dawn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:47 pm

But the really important question I'm sure we are all wondering is...does Dawn still get a beer?
Dawn

Postby Jamie Simpson » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:40 pm

You bet! :)

Jamie
Jamie Simpson

Postby jipstyle » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:57 am

granite_grrl wrote:So that's what happened (you're talking about Halcyon, right....yep, serious lurker here).

I am, though my comment about gear was tongue-in-cheek. The admin just didn't have the money to keep the forum up ... it is a constant burning hole in his pocket.
jipstyle

Previous

Return to Nova Scotia