Old Mill Crag bolting

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Old Mill Crag bolting

Postby SeanM » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone from the CNS group is still considering bolting Old Mill Crag, even if just for a top rope anchor. The tree anchors at the top are starting to get a little worse for wear, with the largest, most suitable tree, being several years dead. It looks like it might have been killed by someone drilling bolt holes in the tree, but I can't figure why anyone would think that was a good idea.

I'd take it upon myself, but I have no idea how to set such an anchor, so I defer to the experienced.
SeanM

Re: Old Mill Crag bolting

Postby mick » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:09 pm

CNS is absolutely interested in supporting the development of new climbing areas within the province.

However, the primary concerns to be addressed are access implications. We'd like to find out who owns the land where the rock is located, as well as who owns the land one crosses over to get there before anyone starts drilling holes and placing anchors.

If you have more details about who might own the land (ie, names, mailing addresses) or at least GPS coordinates or Google maps info for the area and approach, we can set the wheels in motion with CNS to address potential access concerns. Hopefully all goes well and we can get some proper anchors installed and begin route development.

Please remember that climbing is a privilege and not a right. We must respect landowners and thus far we have found that by doing so, landowners have generally been willing to work with climbers to arrive at some sort of resolution.

Kind regards,
Mick Levin
CNS President
mick

Re: Old Mill Crag bolting

Postby SeanM » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:29 am

44 57.088' N 64 53.661' W

Old Mill Crag isn't really a "new" area. Its the one area in the valley that's in Sean Cassidy's guidebook. I'm not sure who's jurisdiction then land is under, I suspect it's Crown land, but there's no crossing of other private land to get to it. Its very much a 'park and grab', as it's right off of the public road.
SeanM

Return to Nova Scotia