what do you think?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

what do you think?

Postby martha » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:04 am

hey all,

this is a thread on another forum in NB.
the owner is suggesting that NB should 'leave you alone' (as in the NS crew) and that perhaps this forum with rooms hosting for all the provinces is a bad idea.

http://www.climbnb.mine.nu/phpbb2/viewt ... 6f7404#886

anyone have comments to that?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Forum?

Postby Zamboni » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:26 pm

I like the idea of having everything under one roof. I do think that it is kinda of silly to have multiple forums up, but I'll keep checking them untill there gone.

CB.
Zamboni

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:18 pm

this whole thing is ridiculus. just put everything under this central message forum and shut everything else. can't believe how many people are so obsessed with these things. go climb!

Stop your winning!!!!!

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:57 pm

The more I read this flowers the more I think this climbing community is a bunch of winners.

Should we bolt or not bolt, is this a FA or not, should we have a forum in each province or not.

For f&?k sake just enjoy the forum and shut the f?&k up.

Re: what do you think?

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:19 pm

Just another example of how the internet can miscontrue true meanings of what someone's typed onto a forum.

I didn't mean that we should forget about NS Climbers or not have a forum combining NS,NB,NFLD,PEI. I knew that CNS had just payed out some money to keep their forum software and soon after that, this other fourm shows up and says "Hey CNS, forget the money you just spent on your forum and use ours. We got it for free and its most likley better anyways". I just didn't like that total disregard for CNS's investment and unique identity.

In New Brunswick, our climbing gyms are housed in public crown-owned gyms such as the NB-Community College Gym and UNB Fredericton squash-courts. We need our own spot for discussion and my forum had that. Now we have this big forum spread thin and there's just a forum for each province, not one for each province plus their individual clubs for discussion. My thoughts for my forum when it was actually put up publicly (it was just a project for fun) was to have a spot for Welsford climbers, NBCCSJ Club and UNB/F Club. Now its unused and I really don't care except that there is no place for NBCC-SJ climbers to ask questions about the club in open forum cause that wasn't included in fred's new forum. It's still on mine but very few people will go on it since ppl have decided to come here.

martha wrote:hey all,

this is a thread on another forum in NB.
the owner is suggesting that NB should 'leave you alone' (as in the NS crew) and that perhaps this forum with rooms hosting for all the provinces is a bad idea.

http://www.climbnb.mine.nu/phpbb2/viewt ... 6f7404#886

anyone have comments to that?
Andrew

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:01 pm

I duno what to say Andrew.

The only thing I can reiterate is, people will go where they want to go. I have no intentions on drawing people here. I've created this site because I thought it was a good idea and it is free to be used by whoever. This is a great opportunity for all. Use it if you want to. Shut up if you don't. WTF. I have "offered" CNS moderation rights to that portion of the board and also told them it's free if they wish to use it as their community forum. They are their own group and can make their own decisions. I'm not gona cry if people don't use it. That would be childish wouldn't it? So having said that... Stop crying and post where you want to post. I'm pretty sure that's what everyone will do. Man!

get out climbing dude! I'm tired of this beautiful flowers. We just want to chat and get beta on new places and shoot the flowers about climbing. Which leaves me to my final comment...

Content and good discussion is what attracts me. That's where I like to spend my time reading and posting. The dress means nothing.

Peace out! Chill!
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: what do you think?

Postby martha » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:15 pm

Andrew wrote: I knew that CNS had just payed out some money to keep their forum software and soon after that, this other fourm shows up and says "Hey CNS, forget the money you just spent on your forum and use ours. We got it for free and its most likley better anyways". I just didn't like that total disregard for CNS's investment and unique identity.

In New Brunswick, our climbing gyms are housed in public crown-owned gyms such as the NB-Community College Gym and UNB Fredericton squash-courts. We need our own spot for discussion and my forum had that. Now we have this big forum spread thin and there's just a forum for each province, not one for each province plus their individual clubs for discussion. My thoughts for my forum when it was actually put up publicly (it was just a project for fun) was to have a spot for Welsford climbers, NBCCSJ Club and UNB/F Club. Now its unused and I really don't care except that there is no place for NBCC-SJ climbers to ask questions about the club in open forum cause that wasn't included in fred's new forum. It's still on mine but very few people will go on it since ppl have decided to come here.

oh andrew. here is a kleenex.

First of all there was NO disregard to CNS's forum or money spent on that. What part of " This was discussed in great detail at the most recent CNS board meeting" did you not understand?

Second, the only people who climb in NB at the gyms, are also the only people who climb at Welsford and vice versa.

So...your statement "My thoughts for my forum when it was actually put up publicly (it was just a project for fun) was to have a spot for Welsford climbers, NBCCSJ Club and UNB/F Club" makes no sense...because all of these climbers....are the only climbers in new brunswick. The ones who climb in welsford and other areas, and the ones who climb at the gym. So what is the problem with a 'NB' room? it is all the same people.

- special note..you comment 'it was just a project for fun'....isn't that what fred is doing too? He has a real 'day job' where he does things for 'work'. so this is just for fun.

If the people in SJ can't figure out how to start a specific thread to ask a question about the NBCCSJ climbing wall, then for gawds sake don't let them belay you!

Now, we are done with this. lets just climb.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby dcentral » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:13 pm

I think it's cool that people from all over the maritimes can communicate with each other and help to grow the community over all.

On another issue why is this conversation going on in the NS forum. Shouldn't it be in general?
dcentral

Postby martha » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:12 pm

good call dcentral. Guess I wasn't thinking when I started the thread! (not the first time I haven't thought) ...shhhh! don't tell anyone. :roll:

moderator! moderator! shall we move this thread?!

martha

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:37 pm

Martha,

About the clubs... I meant that there sould be seperate topics for each club so news about that specific club being closed or open or somthing interesting going on could be posted there and it wouldn't get burried in the pile of general climbing related posts.

I'm not crying. I just don't have much faith right now in forums as they keep changing and the topics covered on the old forums keep getting erased. Some of them had really really good information on them but are lost. I know I can save them to a file, but that's beside the point.

I think some of you blew my comments way out of perportion. I'll take better care in what I type from now on.

climb on
Andrew

Postby martha » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:20 am

Andrew wrote:Martha,

About the clubs... I meant that there sould be seperate topics for each club so news about that specific club being closed or open or somthing interesting going on could be posted there and it wouldn't get burried in the pile of general climbing related posts.

you can rest at ease Andrew, as you know this forum has a search capability, and if anyone wants to look for old posts, it is a simple thing to do.

I don't think anything will get buried in the discussions. You know us, a bunch of opinionated climbers. so if it is a topic worth discussing, it will be front and centre.

martha

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:40 am

martha wrote:
Andrew wrote:Martha,

you can rest at ease Andrew, as you know this forum has a search capability, and if anyone wants to look for old posts, it is a simple thing to do.

I don't think anything will get buried in the discussions. You know us, a bunch of opinionated climbers. so if it is a topic worth discussing, it will be front and centre.

There is also be the capability to have a sticky on the top of the fourms. If the information is very important or highly sought after then perhaps you can convince it to be placed in this format.
granite_grrl

Hmmmm

Postby Ropeguy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:14 am

Hi....My name is ropeguy ......and I'm a climber.

Hi Ropeguy(from a group of monotone strangers)

I hope to one day be free of this F#!ked up addiction!!!!But until then...

Does anyone know where I can find a forum,One about climbing?One free from bias and judgement??

Did someone just say Climb Eastern Canada,WOW! that sounds like a fun place to visit!! You say that many provinces have joined together and talk about climbing .......Coooool!!! How could that not be a good idea.....

Great site Fred! Good job! even for and EIT!

Now don't be mad at me Fred.I was only joking around about the EIT thing,I know how things get a little crazy around here and people like to write long stories but I was really only joking! Honest! I'm just trying to write my own long story and I'm a little stupid so I just say flowers to take up space. 8) ,

I love this place!!

Climb on ya crazy bunch of Fu%kers!!!
Ropeguy

Return to Nova Scotia