Annapolis Valley Bouldering

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Annapolis Valley Bouldering

Postby SeanM » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:45 pm

Anyone know of some locations (co-ords or directions appreciated) in the Annapolis Valley for some bouldering? I know the area's not as widely used or documented as the Halifax area, but I'd love to be able to stop by for some bouldering locally. The only thing we really have in the area that I've done is Old Mill, but I'm looking for some bouldering spots. I hear there's some stuff up on the south mountain, but I'm not really sure where.

Thanks for info! 8)
SeanM

Re: Annapolis Valley Bouldering

Postby sgt.global » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:15 am

I will be away until the first of Aug but if you are around email me your number and I can show you some stuff.

Derick Smith
zagnut_77@hotmail.com
sgt.global

Postby Nette » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Do you mind if I tag along, I've found some stuff up by aylsford lake but I've heard you have developed some pretty sweet areas
Nette

Postby joelh » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Ahh, Valley Bouldering... Derrick definitely has the gems down his ways, but for those of us closer to the Wolfville Area here are a couple of areas to check out:

Black River Lake has a ton around it, but with the bugs it might be a little nasty right now. The best boulders are on two scattered around the east and south sides of two small hills between methalls road and the lake on the west side going toward the big dam. The road follows power lines for a short while. I've placed a double rock with a small rock chimneying the two of them to mark one spot (right on a boulder next to a power pole. Go directly west to reach on hill. The next one is to to south at the far end of a large clear cut. There is a huge house sized boulder at the northeast end of the clear cut.

Another great area involves a 20 min hike (sometimes wet). Follow the power line that is 2 km before the lake. Go east. Each hill top is littered with boulders in the woods.

Finally follow the road down the east side of the lake past goose cove. If your car is good (and the road) you can drive to the narrows and park at a gate. Take the small trail east (away from the lake) and find a hill skattered with boulders and small cliffs.

Much of the fundy coast has awesome bouldering if you know where to look...

White rock has lots of bouldering (just be respectful of the houses)... Andrew has been there with me, but we only bouldered a couple of small ones...

I have most of these areas mapped out with a few fun problems established

There are others too...I'm trying to find time to get out with you guys, but its tough. If i can't make it out i'd like to at least help you guys get the most of it. Great job Sean and Andrew for connecting people out there.

Cheers,
Joel
joelh

Postby SeanM » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Directions are appreciated, but if anyone has any GPS co-ordinates, can precisely identify some areas on Google Maps / Google Earth, that would be awesome. Trying to find remembered directions while blundering around in fairly trail-free, tick-infested brush is kind of a pain.

That said, if we had a guide to show us these areas, we'd be able to find out own coordinates. Let me know any time you're free, Joel, and we'll head out some afterwork or weekend.
SeanM

Return to Nova Scotia