Bouldering in the Valley or near Halifax this Saturday?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Bouldering in the Valley or near Halifax this Saturday?

Postby chiasson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:38 pm

Hi, we're brand new to this site and to climbing in NS. I'm from CB but took up climbing in Alberta, I'm living in NS again. My girlfriend is an experienced climber and has climbed in Israel, Greece and in Alberta. We bought a pair of crash pads today and are in Wolfville for the weekend and would love to get out bouldering, either here or near Metro, preferably Saturday. We're heading to CB sometime on Sunday. If anyone has anything planned and wouldn't mind us tagging along we'd love to get out. Drop is a line on hear.

C and A
chiasson

Re: Bouldering in the Valley or near Halifax this Saturday?

Postby TMN » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:50 pm

We've got a group going to boulder on Dover Island (near Peggy's Cove) on Saturday at 2pm - it's $15 a person for the boat over/back. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you all the details.
TMN

Postby Nette » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:13 am

I'm in Wolfville and there are a few areas around here to boulder but looks like I'm going out to Halifax and meeting some people for some trad climbing. You are welcome to join but I would say see Dover if can...amazing!
Nette

Postby chiasson » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. We'd love to check out Dover. Please forward us the relevant info. Where to meet and what time the boat is returning? Also, we're wondering if there is a safe place to leave our car on the mainland? Thanks again.
chiasson

Postby SeanM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:42 pm

Check out Annapolis Valley Climbing on Facebook, if you're of the Facebooking persuasion. It's a group that Nette and I are trying to get organized to develop and maintain the bouldering and crag climbing available here in the Valley. We've got a couple active projects that need some hands, if you're looking to help clean or cut trails to some new areas.
SeanM

Postby SeanM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:46 pm

That is, of course, if you're Valley planted. If you're just passing through, forget my prompting. :)
SeanM

Postby chiasson » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:59 pm

We're just passing through. I used to live here a few years back. Would love to know some of the local climbing spots though.
chiasson

Postby SeanM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Old Mill Crag is the primary, developed top roping area, though there are a couple bouldering areas. There are several rope routes under development, and there's always a boulder hunt underway, but if you're just passing through and looking for a quick climb, Old Mill is probably your best bet. It's got good top access, and it's a mere minute or two off the road.

If you search for "239 Rocknotch Road, Greenwood, NS" in google maps, that'll put you mere meters from the parking spot. The trail head is on the north side of the road, but can be tricky to find if you dont know where you're looking. You can find better instructions if you search google for old mill crag climbing.

I might be stopping out that way tomorrow sometime, but I'm not sure when.
SeanM

Postby chiasson » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, something came up this morning and we have to drive back to CB a day early and won't be able to get any climbing in this weekend. Thanks again for the invites, hopefully in a few weeks we'll be back up this way.
chiasson

Postby chiasson » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Sean and Nette,

We live here now, in Wolfville to be exact. We're here till May and are looking to get in as much climbing and bouldering as we can manage. Please drop us a line next time something is happening.

Carter and Ania
chiasson

Postby Nette » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Sounds great! I was thinking of maybe getting out tomorrow. We are thinking of cleaning and climbing some boulders behind wolfville. Drop me an email at: andynette@hotmail.com and we can organize something. Unfortunately I do not have a cell anymore so email is the only way to contact me right now.

Hope to see you out there
Nette

Postby SeanM » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:35 am

You can contact me at 698-1585, but I'll be at work all day. My email is probably the best way for me, too. sean dot murphy at acadiau dot ca.
SeanM

Return to Nova Scotia