Columbus Wall Clean N' Climb - Saturday September 12

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Columbus Wall Clean N' Climb - Saturday September 12

Postby mick » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:28 am

As part of Climb Nova Scotia's ongoing efforts to maintain and improve existing climbing areas, we will be holding a Columbus Wall Clean n' Climb day on Saturday, September 12.

Columbus Wall is a fantastic crag in Mosquodoboit, home to dozens of stellar trad, sport, and mixed climbs. Most climbs can be easily toproped, there are tons of moderate climbs for new leaders, and some harder gems are still awaiting first ascents making Columbus Wall a destination for climbers of all levels. The approach trail and trailhead are easy to find thanks to the recent reflagging by CNS volunteers Rich and Zig. If you've never been to Columbus Wall, now is your chance to check it out.

Despite all this awesomeness, many climbs are overgrown with moss and vegetation and in need of maintenence. Come on out on Saturday, September 12 and help clean a line or two and do some climbing afterward! Brushes will be provided, and if you need a harness, belay device, helmet or rope let us know and we can make those available too.

Cheers
mick

Mick Levin
CNS President
climbnovascotia.ca
mick

Re: Columbus Wall Clean N' Climb - Saturday September 12

Postby Ryan_woods » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:46 pm

I'd love to go to columbus wall with some people that know the place, and if it means I have to help clean up a few routes thats fine by me.
Ryan_woods

Postby aidasr » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:54 pm

in.
aidasr

Postby SeanM » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:45 pm

Me too. I'll either need to catch a ride with someone, or pick up someone who knows the way.
SeanM

Postby Nette » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:43 pm

I'm in too
Nette

Postby Ryan_woods » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:42 pm

SeanM wrote:Me too. I'll either need to catch a ride with someone, or pick up someone who knows the way.

Same here, If anyone has a free spot I'd gladly pitch in some gas money.
Ryan_woods

Postby Brynn » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:23 pm

I'd like to make it out that day to help and check, check out the area, and meet new climbers. I'd need a ride also, and am certainly willing to give some gas $$
Brynn

Postby The Mitt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:06 am

I'd be there but I am going to be at sea :(
The Mitt

Postby stoneseeker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:04 pm

yay! We just got a rope, and I want to see the new trail in, so Lydia and myself will do our best to be there with brushes in hand. Still parking on the side of the highway? aaaaand, what time?
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby The Mitt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Is there a chance that CNS could try and speak to the land owner and get the gate opened again?
The Mitt

Postby mick » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:52 pm

I spoke with Mr. Taylor this week. Unfortunately, due to ongoing legal issues he is unable to distribute copies of the key at this time, even as a one-off for the CNS event. When things sort themselves out, he told me he would be happy to make keys available again.

Parking is still available outside the gate and on the highway, provided the gate is not blocked. Cleanup will start in the morning, hopefully around 10am. Check back here for updates closer to the date.
mick

Postby Ryan_woods » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Is there anybody out there that I might be able to hitch a ride with yet? or anybody that's been there before that needs a ride. let me know
Ryan_woods

Postby mick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Just a reminder about tomorrow's event at Columbus Wall. Weather looks perfect so come on out!

Saturday is the Columbus Wall Clean n' Climb! I hope you can all make it, we'll be starting around 10am. The plan is to have a bunch of ropes set up when people arrive (anyone want to come out earlier with me?) and distribute wire brushes, then everyone scrubs a line and/or helps remove some deadfall and/or install a few rappel stations, and then we climb all day!

If you haven't been there before, Columbus Wall is on the 357 HWY out of Mosquodoboit Harbour at: 44.837389,-63.200122 (Plug those numbers into maps.google.ca and it'll show you the head of the logging road that serves as the approach), about 1.4km past Paces Lake Rd. If you are coming from Mosquodoboit Harbour it will be on your left.

The trailhead is up the logging road about 12 minutes on your left hand side. There is a knee-high rock cairn and pink flagging tape marking the approach. The cliff is about 5 minutes walk through the woods once you leave the logging road. You will be able to see pink flagging tape the whole way - if you can't see pink tape anywhere, you are going the wrong way and should return to the last piece of pink tape and look around a bit more carefully.

Bring a rope if you have one, I'll bring two extra harnesses and a bunch of ropes with me, along with a dozen wire brushes.

See you tomorrow!

mick
mick

Postby ClimbingGirl » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:56 pm

I`m going to Columbus wall tomorrow. I was hoping to catch a ride with either Mick or Billy but I could drive if there`s people who still need a ride out.

Give me a call if you need a ride to Columbus Wall (492-7602). I`m thinking of leaving between 10 and 11.

Michelle
ClimbingGirl

Postby mick » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:42 am

A huge thanks to everyone who came out yesterday for the Clean N' Climb! We had 15 people in attendance and got about as many lines scrubbed and a fair bit of improvement to the trail system. Columbus Wall is starting to show what a top notch crag is supposed to look like. Everyone should go out there and check it out. Also, we left a few wire brushes in the 1st aid box out there, so please use them to keep the climbs in top shape.

columbus scrub.jpg
mick

Return to Nova Scotia