Eggs and Godzilla boulders

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Eggs and Godzilla boulders

Postby jeremy benjamin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:52 am

Made it out to Eggs and Godzilla yesterday with D. Boyce and N. Benjamin and we were randomly met by D. Quinn. I had tried and failed to find these boulders in the past. They are a little off on their own in the LOC but we all found that it was well worth the trek. The directions in the guide are solid. On the previous attempt to get there we just didn’t go far enough. It is 15 min on a well-defined ATV trail from Memorial boulder. You will hit a very wet part of the trail, which is where we turned around before, but you just have to keep going. When you hit a small bridge made of guardrails you have passed the Eggs boulders by 50 feet and are 20 feet from the Trailside wall, Godzilla is another minute or so on the same path and you really can’t miss it. Walking from Memorial, Eggs are on the left, trailside is on the right, and Godzilla is on the left.

The gem for us was the V4 on Eggs called Billiards. Wicked fun.
jeremy benjamin

Re: Eggs and Godzilla boulders

Postby patzer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:32 pm

Nice review! What about the Memorial boulder itself?

I am putting together a list of V4ish problems to conquer as soon as my fingers are done repairing... I think the guide had a 3 star line there that is V3 maybe?

BTW, welcome back Mr. Quinn.
patzer

Postby mick » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:40 pm

I haven't climbed at Memorial yet but there looks to be at least three good lines on the back. Eggs has a bunch of rad V3-V6 problems. I'd be keen to get back out to both places again soon and put up a bit of flagging tape too.

Jason, you should check out Loose Shoes at Eggs. Siiicknesss.
mick

Postby Quinn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Thanks Jason, we should get out for some sending when you're back in the game. The lines on eggs were good fun. The problem Jason is thinking of on Memorial is 111 (V3) - good movement, big moves, and good holds - a great problem, not typical for Nova Scotia V3's. Godzilla boulder has a three-star V1 slab that is tall, dirty, no possibility of a good landing, a pine tree for a spotter, but feels great topping out that giant boulder. I tried to convince the guys to get on it, but no takers :D The other problem on Godzilla leaves something to be desired.

Here is my GPS map of the approach

The approach is pretty straight forward, wet in places, well demarcated trail, one of the best ATV tracks in the LOC. The GPS trail appears shifted to the right - Google hasn't gotten around to properly aligning their satellite photos for the LOC.
Quinn

Postby Ammex » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:16 pm

patzer wrote:Nice review! What about the Memorial boulder itself?

I am putting together a list of V4ish problems to conquer as soon as my fingers are done repairing... I think the guide had a 3 star line there that is V3 maybe?

BTW, welcome back Mr. Quinn.

111 (The 3 star V3) is a great line, definately worth putting on a list. Though, I think it gets quite a bit easier if you have a long reach but it's been awhile since I've been out there. That's about the only problem sub V4 on that boulder worth doing but there are some other good 3s to 5s in the area.
Ammex

Return to Nova Scotia