Website help????

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Website help????

Postby mike » Tue May 24, 2005 8:14 am

Hey People,

I'm wondering if one of you kinda souls could help me and Pete out.

I'd like to add a section to our website for people to type stuff in. Updates, trip reports, words of encouragement etc. Nothing fancy just like a blackboard type thing. Maybe a date and time stamp included with each entry. The company that has us on their server doesn't want to give anyone access to the server so I'd like to be able to email them the above mentioned addition in a format that they can just flop on to the bottom of the 'Journey' page of the site.

I'm going to be out of internet range for a week+ but would greatly appreciate any help in the mean time. In return you can get your name in lights on the sponsor page. Exposure to millions, paparatzzie at your door, possible knighthood and maybe even a conjugal visit from Madonna.

Thanks,
Mike
mike

Postby tracstarr » Tue May 24, 2005 9:01 am

easiest would be to use http://cutephp.com/ in my opinion. it uses text files to store the info. thus you don't have to ask your people to setup database stuff for you. hopefully they can use php though. i've used it before and it's really simple. no bells and whistles.
tracstarr

Postby mike » Tue May 24, 2005 9:21 am

I am so out of the loop. I had a look at your suggestion- I realize that I am totally lacking in computer skills. It was total greek to me. I'll see if I can wrap my head around the whole thing when I get back.

Helicopter's calling- gotta go.

Mike
mike

Postby Fred » Tue May 24, 2005 9:51 am

Mike,

first find out if your webhost will handle "php". Then I might be able to help you from there.

PHP is a type of encoding that is processed at the server end before the webpage gets to you.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Tue May 24, 2005 9:47 pm

What might be the best and easiest solution for you is to use your Flicker account or create a new one. It has blogging features and photo uploads. Then all you'd have to do is make a link to it on your website.

Also really low cost too. Also having it on flickr might generate some more interest in your trip as there seems to be a growing community of flickr users checking other people's spaces.
dcentral

Postby mike » Sun May 29, 2005 12:47 pm

Back on land... the flicker suggestion sounds like a good one. I'm gonna look into it- thanks.
mike

Postby mike » Sun May 29, 2005 4:33 pm

This whole blog thing was going pretty good... but then I discovered that you've gotta sign in to post comments- which involves having your own blog- waa waa waaaaaa
know of any blog sites that don't need effort to post comments?
mike

Postby dcentral » Sun May 29, 2005 6:54 pm

I think http://www.livejournal.com or http://www.modblog.com will let people sign in with out comments.
dcentral

Postby mike » Mon May 30, 2005 10:14 am

Thanks, Man.

I really appreciate all the help.

Mike
mike

Postby dcentral » Mon May 30, 2005 11:55 am

no worries.
dcentral

Return to Nova Scotia