Eastern Shore Explorations (Sheet Hrbr, Ship Hrbr etc)

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Eastern Shore Explorations (Sheet Hrbr, Ship Hrbr etc)

Postby Scooter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:37 am

Just wondering if anyone has ever scouted out potential bouldering around this area? I know Ship Rock is down there so I'm curious if anyone ahs ever explored the area for boulders?
Scott.R
Scooter

Re: Eastern Shore Explorations (Sheet Hrbr, Ship Hrbr etc)

Postby stoneseeker » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:04 pm

Ship Rock? is that an established and climbed boulder?? Orrrrr, just a locally famous rock of some kind?

Plus, hoping to explore the Musquodoboit trails and Gibraltar hill either this week sometime, or at least on the weekend. See what gems lie in them hills.
Anyone else interested in joining me?? benjamins? scoot? toddles?
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby Scooter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Ship Rock is a crag situated on an island off ship hrbr. My family has a camp down in ship harbour and there is loads of granite next to the highway off of some steep steep hills. I plan to go exploring either this weekend after the massacre or the following weekend to see what lies higher up on the hills and behind. I will tell you that Chris and I found two boulders deeper into sheet harbour with a dozen or so decent lines between them. Ranging from easy to hard (I mean hard)! And another two with some moderate climbing. However, you will have to drive almost 2 hrs to get to both of them. Not worth the drive.... yet, but there is definitely potential.

If I don't get down there this weekend I will def check out musq trails with you.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby stoneseeker » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:04 pm

sweet.

sounds like potential. It sure would be nice to find that kind of potential closer to home though.
still, I'd be interested in some scouting and scrubbing there.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby Eager » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Gibralter Rock has some sweet boulders not too far from the parking lot just along the hillside. It hosts several cool problems that Shawn White, Zig and myself put up a few years back. Delivery Boy is one of the most unique problems in NS, starting far under the slab. There wasn't much else around other than the main cluster below the hillside. The rest of that trail may yield some stuff off the beaten path, there is still probably loads of stuff out there.
Eager

Postby stoneseeker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:26 pm

eager, is there a post or a blog or anything where we can see what problems were developed on gibralter, and where to find them? Whats delivery boy rated? sounds cool.
It would be nice to have a blog dedicated to new problems found and developed that haven't made it into any guide book yet... I still have never been to heffalump or owl house, for instance.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby chameleon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Lukey, you gotta stay focused dood!
I B-leave you have committed yo-self to scrubbin' the Lake Echo bouldering mecca.
Don't be runnin' off down the shore now...and DONT make me scrub those boulders myself.

Gibraltar.....I don't know too much about that place but Rich has been putting in some bristle time there. The boulders are scattered and it'd be great to have them gps'd into the wiki thing Quinn has going on....it'd also be nice to see the ice climbs wiki'd ....and the crags too!.......let me know when this is all done....i'll be on the couch.
chameleon

Postby Scooter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:43 am

If you guys are getting out to clean and climb out your way let me know
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Eager » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Well,

Most of the problems at Gibralter are focused in a pretty small area pretty much directly below the top of Gibralter Rock. Walk down the railroad path about i dunno 400-500 metres turn left into the forest up hill and find boulders OR head up path towards top of Gibralter Rock about halfway to top you will see a 15ft boulder on the hillside walk towards this then continue along this contour until you find the cluster. Pretty much all the good obvious lines got sent but the good problems are definately worth doing. Delivery Boy is V7/8ish I guess. Ask Zig for better beta, he has some old footage as well. As far as documenting this s**t, there aren't too many people willing to drive from Halifax to Gibralter to boulder, but with all the stuff going on out that way these days you could get someone like i dunno ........... Cassidy to get off his lazy arse and throw a guide together. You'd be suprised all the random spots that have seen problems go up and aren't documented around Halifax. Hospital Hill, The Pit, The Far Sides in Terence Bay, The Lone Giant in TB, Ketch Head(tough access), Cheaters Head, Kidston Lake, Pretty much all of the Eastern Shore.
Eager

Postby Quinn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:26 pm

Eager wrote:You'd be suprised all the random spots that have seen problems go up and aren't documented around Halifax. Hospital Hill, The Pit, The Far Sides in Terence Bay, The Lone Giant in TB, Ketch Head(tough access), Cheaters Head, Kidston Lake, Pretty much all of the Eastern Shore.

This was the impetus for developing a wiki. A means of keeping track of areas and ascents so they aren't lost down the memory hole. Easy to use, freely editable by all, and taking the burden off one particular individual. The information and photos could later be used to update / expand guidebooks by motivated people if so inclined.

Obviously, if there interest is there, it would be simple to expand the scope to include ice and routes.
Quinn

Postby Quinn » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:11 pm

Found another large boulder on the darkside. This area was literally covered in granite, but it was remote and inaccessible, so I didn't explore.

Quinn

Return to Nova Scotia