Sad day

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Sad day

Postby seanT » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:01 am

Many of you may not know it but our beloved ZIG is moving out west so I thought this would be a good thread to post up some good luck wishes and memories of that crazy bastard who brought us Zig TV...Bolo holds...NS bouldering.com the list goes on and on. Not to mention the stout ticklist he left for future generations. I think the day i watched him run laps on When Stars Attack in subzero temps was the day i realized he was in a whole other league. Zig Bon Voyage!!!!
seanT

Re: Sad day

Postby martha » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:44 pm

not to mention some of the sweetest sandbags in Welsford.

We'll miss you Zig! (And fiona too!)
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby jeremy benjamin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:26 am

a bientot Zig and Fiona.

Thanks for all the hard boulder problems with french names, and the laughs.

Bye Guy
jeremy benjamin

Postby chameleon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:15 am

The first time I met Ziggy Stardust was about 12 or 13 years ago or so, at a comp in Fredericton. We shared an affinity for crimping – an affinity perhaps but certainly not skill level. The things that I could just barely struggle through, Zig seemed to be able to hike in his sneakers. Does that sound familiar?

I’ve always been impressed with Zig’s level psych and positive vibe. His commitment to climbing is unbelievable. In the early days of LOC development this rock junkie would regularly drive from Freddy to Halifax for a single day of bouldering and then drive back home again. What kind of freak does that?

After he moved here, long days of finger shredding on coarse granite would merely be a prelude to a couple hours of plastic pulling and then back out again for a night session. I just couldn’t keep up. Didn’t matter to Zig though, he’s always chill and super supportive of gumbies and old dudes alike. In later years he even supported me when I couldn’t get out climbing:

Z: “Dude, we’re going bouldering in Musquodoboit – shall we pick you up?”
S: “No man, but could you pick me up some beer, I don't have the car”
Z: “Uh, sure dude – no problem”
S:”Sweet”

From the lanky teenager I first met in the late 90s, Zig is now all growed up (still lanky though!). Now, he’s an off the couch marathon runner, guidebook author (that’s so bichin’), inhales plastic fumes just to make others climb better, and still cranks like an SOB - although he might actually need to warm up a bit now!!.

Zig, thanks for all the good times – we are collectively stronger because of you. All the best to you and Fiona out west.

Sean
chameleon

Postby Fred » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:28 am

sniff sniff

On reste en contact mon ami.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Danger » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:15 am

I hear Ziggy hasn't actually climbed in years... he merely caresses the smallest of crystals, and the rocks pull away in shear respectful terror, thus making it appear to the untrained eye as though Zig actually climbing... or so Stamp told me
Danger

Postby patzer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:02 am

Hey, I never really spent any time with you, but the few times we spoke you were always super nice. I appreciate that, but even more so I (and I'm sure everyone else as well) especially appreciate all the hard work you put into to everything you've done for the climbing community. Your reputation precedes you and you'll be missed even by those you don't even know! Good luck out west.

Jason
patzer

Postby The Teth » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:27 pm

I sat down to write a reply to this thread just after it was posted and then realize that if I tried to sum up Zig’s contribution to the climbing community that I would be here all day, and I just did not have that sort of time.

Chameleon summed it up pretty well though. It was not just what Zig did, and man did he ever do a lot!, it was his attitude and his ability to make people feel at ease. No mater how good he was, and man was he ever good!, he always seemed humble, and treated even the greenest novice with respect.

Zig, I am going to miss you. And thanks for letting me know where the climbing gyms were in Halifax when I emailled you from California ten years ago.
The Teth
The Teth

Postby Scooter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:48 pm

I remember when I first started climbing, it was my buddy Andrew that got me into it.

We were at Rock Works and I was watching some dude climb upside down and was uber impressed. Andrew looked at me and said..."Dude... that is nothing. He is shaking a little. You should see this guy Ghislain... soo smooth"

I had no idea who he was talking about and really didn't give a WuTang because I hated climbing. It wasn't until 3 or 4 years later when I actually got into climbing and saw Zig climb for the first time. I did not make the connection between Zig and Ghislain, but I instantly knew that this is the guy Andrew was talking about.

Goodluck Zig! Good times! Words cannot sum up what you have done for NS bouldering... from websites, to guides, to competitions to countless problems. Mad props.

Cheers.

Scooter
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Quinn » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Ghislain has done a great deal for the climbing community in Nova Scotia, and as others have highlighted it would be impossible to capture it all in one paragraph. Just watching him climb was an awesome experience, but what still stands out for me though is Ghislain's enthusiasm for climbing and his positive attitude towards climbers of all levels.

My first time climbing outside was with Zig. I literally got a guided tour of Nova Scotia bouldering by a local legend and had no appreciation at the time for what an amazing experience that was. I watched him literally walk up Dilemma V9 in Grover and thought nothing of it. I was most impressed that he could climb so long without his fingers hurting :wink: I even asked if they did. I'll always appreciate his patience, enthusiasm, and kindness towards new climbers. He passed on to me an gift that I will always appreciate. Looking back, his enthusiasm for sharing the sport with new climbers is an amazing quality.

Good luck Ghislain, best wishes!
Quinn

Postby Zamboni » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:03 pm

You guys are talking like your loosing something for good! Watch and see, they will be back!

Take care zig & Fi!

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby bns » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks everyone for the stories and wishes! I appreciate it. I plan on posting some old bouldering pics from my early years in Hfx later this summer. Oh the memories!
Have a great summer
Ghislain
aka Zig
bns

Postby dpg » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:13 pm

I posted an old video of zig doing his thing.
Google: Vimeo Elephant On My Back; or vimeo.com/11373441
Tall and cleaning the top out on the send!
Has more than one person repeated that...?
dpg

Return to Nova Scotia