Hey

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Hey

Postby BST13_ » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Hey,
Just found this site through climbnovascotia.ca and decided to register and make a post.
I'm interested in getting into bouldering, it's my favorite part whenever I go to ground zero, and I would like to try it outside sometime - I assume it is probably much tougher on a real rock. My problem is I don't really know where to start, what I would need for equipment and such ( shoes, chaulk, etc...) or where to go/ what rocks are good for beginners and what ones to avois at the start.

So any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
BST13_

Re: Hey

Postby Scooter » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:50 am

All you really need is shoes and a chalk bag. Later on, you will probably want to invest in a pad.

You should check out GZ & CNS's Monday Night Bouldering. We meet just before 6:00pm every Monday at the Church parking lot at the Armdale Rotary. We carpool to a different spot every Monday. We get people of all levels so definitely check it out! A great way to meet climbing partners and check out all the different areas.

http://www.climbnovascotia.ca/events/ for the schedule.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby jeremy benjamin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:43 am

You could purchase the bouldering in Nova Scotia guide book at The Trail Shop on Quinpool Rd. It has the beta on most of the bouldering locations around Halifax. Directions on how to get to the boulders, pictures of a lot of the boulders and diagrams and discriptions of the problems that have already been established. Monday night bouldering as suggested by Scooter is by far the best way to meet people new and experienced in the sport and get an intro to the areas. Another way to meet people and get an introduction to bouldering in Nova Scotia is Boulderfest. Check the CNS website or the boulderfest thread here for details. It is a weekend trip to the East Coast bouldering mecca on Dover Island with 80 other climbers and is going down the first week of August. There is also a sweet Nova Scotia Bouldering DVD called Eastern Tide that will get you psyched on bouldering outside here. It won prizes at the Banff Mountain film fest and is like gasoline on a fire for feeding your stoke before heading out climbing. It is probably also available at the Trail Shop, and is at MEC.
jeremy benjamin

Postby BST13_ » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:00 am

Thanks for the information. Is there any certain nights people meet on besides Mondays? They really don't work for me. Does GZ have a night or anything?

I will be sure to go pick up a copy of that book. Thanks again.
BST13_

Postby Scooter » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:34 am

I think thursdays are pretty popular at GZ.
Scott.R
Scooter

Return to Nova Scotia