Outdoor Top Rope Instruction

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Outdoor Top Rope Instruction

Postby GuyLombardi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:19 pm

I've living/bouldering out here for almost 2 years but have yet to do any top roping that's not in the gym. My partner and I have a harness, helmet, carabiners & belay devices but I don't want to go out and buy webbing and rope until I've thoroughly learned how to top rope (and all that goes with it, eg. tree anchors, rapelling) outside in the elements.

If there's any qualified person(s) out there who'd be willing to help me out it'd be much appreciated.
GuyLombardi

Re: Outdoor Top Rope Instruction

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:20 pm

Where do you live?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby mick » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 am

If you are looking for lessons, you should contact the Dalplex Rock Court. Check out their website: http://www.athletics.dal.ca/default.cfm?id=609

As an aside, 7-8mm cord is far preferable to webbing for setting toprope anchors. Webbing is less abrasion resistant, more difficult to inspect, and hard or impossible to untie once knotted and loaded.

Although no substitute for actual instruction and experience, you should pick up and read a copy of "Mountaineering: Freedom Of The Hills" 7th edition, available at MEC or the library. It is an invaluable resource for climbers and makes a great coffee table book. You can learn almost all the knots you will ever need in that book and get a grasp on some basic anchoring techniques.

Check out http://www.climbnovascotia.ca for upcoming events and chances to get out and meet other climbers. Climbing with people more experienced than you (who know what they are doing) is also a good idea. Sorting out those who know from those who don't know what they don't know can be the tricky part.

cheers
mick
mick

Postby GuyLombardi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info mick. I've been looking at a few other "How to Climb" books at the library but will definately seek out that mountaineering book. I'll check in with Rock court as well.

I live in Elmsdale but I don't let the hour drives deter me from bouldering. Up until August 26 I got pretty much every day free to do what I want. My partner and I would definately come along top roping with anyone who's heading out in the near future.
GuyLombardi

Postby Scooter » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:36 am

Please feel free to come join us this weekend for the Clean & Climb @ Mainface. http://www.climbnovascotia.ca/events
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby GuyLombardi » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:01 am

What time will things get started at Main Face?
Also, which day would be better to go, Sat or Sun?
GuyLombardi

Postby mick » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:17 am

Saturday will have more topropes on the go. I expect people will arrive Saturday morning but come whenever you like, I will be up there rigging some stuff tonight.

The Main Face event is NOT AN INSTRUCTIONAL WEEKEND, NOR A GUIDED TOUR. If you aren't a CNS member you will be asked to sign a waiver.

This weekend is just a bunch of people climbing together and scrubbing a few lines and raising money for a friend who lost all his gear. That said, I'm sure you will learn a thing or two (but don't expect to be an expert on anchors by Monday).
mick

Return to Nova Scotia