First face trailblaze - Saturday Sept 18

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

First face trailblaze - Saturday Sept 18

Postby mick » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 am

Saturday, September 18th starting around 10am will be a Clear and Clean and Climb and Toprope day at First Face. The owners of First Face have given Climb Nova Scotia permission to clear a trail on their land that will extend from the old parking area on Paces Lake Drive to the top of First Face, bypassing the lakeside talus-field approach.

The trail is mostly covered with deadfall so bring some work gloves and a saw if you have one. It shouldn't take long with a bunch of us and then we can toprope and lead some classic Nova Scotia sport lines with the man himself, Sean Cassidy. After we are all too dirty and tired to climb, we'll head to Cassidy's place for a bonfire, burgers and beverages, courtesy of Climb Nova Scotia!

C'mon out and lend a hand this Saturday. Please RSVP to climbnovascotia at gmail dot com so we know how many hands we'll have on deck.
mick

Re: First face trailblaze - Saturday Sept 18

Postby stoneseeker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm back now...
and I'm in!

(I also threw CNS an e-mail that were coming)
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby Adam » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:15 pm

sounds like a great idea.... will have to petition UNBR&I for some consumables next cochrane lane cleanup day :)
Adam

Postby chameleon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:51 pm

You guys are freakin’ me out!

Almost 20 rope(!) climbers showed up yesterday to help clear out a new trail to the cliff and to crank on some of the classic lines. I had no idea that many people climbed around here! Thanks to everyone who showed up to lend a hand and thanks to CNS, especially Mick (el president), first lady Rolanda, and second lady Scooter, for organizing the event.

The Trail:
The new trail starts about two-thirds the way along Paces Lake Road and leads directly to the top of the cliff (~15 minute walk – 600 metres) and is all on the same property as the cliff itself. A huge thank-you to the landowners for their continued support of climbing on their property, and also permission to resurrect this pre-existing trail. As usual, all climbing is “at your own risk”. Keep the place clean and do not have campfires (owner’s request).
By design, the trail head is not obvious [to deter excessive traffic and potential misuse of the property]. It begins directly behind a power pole (can’t remember the number on it – post up if you know it), which is opposite to that triangular junction of driveways leading to the gated side road. This is about 400 metres from the start of Paces Lake Road. Please park on the highway and walk in from there.

The Climbing:
It was awesome to see so many people given ‘er on these lines and to meet some new faces. Some impressive climbing was going down, notably Samantha’s redpoint of “LA” – a stout lead. You rock, girl..... totally bichin’.

Here’s some beta on the re-bolting that was done there last year, if you missed it:

viewtopic.php?=4&t=5171&p=27929&hilit=first+face+bolt&sid=6b8908896f21592516de887c800222d1#p27929

And here’s a few more recommendations for high quality lines that you should check out, since we didn’t have ropes on them yesterday:
Slave to Fashion
Snakeskin
Ghost Dance.
-----------------------
Have Fun!
Sean
chameleon

Return to Nova Scotia