Slot canyons in Nova Scotia

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Slot canyons in Nova Scotia

Postby benlalonde » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:57 pm

I was hiking in the Cobequids west of Parrsboro and got into a couple of places I can only describe as slot canyons. In times of low water (as was the case last week), you can enter the slot canyons usually by going at it from the downstream end without having any ropes. In a lot of cases, the upper end of the slot canyons have either waterfalls to navigate or deep pools (at the bootom of the falls). To make a long story short, I am pretty sure these would be really cool places to climb. Maybe one of these place as been climbed before because it is located upstream of Wards Fall trail but the other is on a brook called George Fraser which not a lot of people have been to. I've posted detailled directions, pictures and gps coordinates on another site called trailpeak (search by province for either George Fraser slot cayon or Diligent river canyon.

Cheers

Ben
benlalonde

Re: Slot canyons in Nova Scotia

Postby Nette » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:52 pm

looks very cool! Any idea of the rock type?
Nette

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Here's the direct link.

http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-George-F ... ro-NS-7098

Looks like conglomerate. Might be decent for winter ice if the falls are high enough.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby gwa » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Wow, that looks incredible. Thanks for posting that up here.

The Cobequids are similar in many ways to the Caledonia Highlands near Waterford, New Brunswick. Around Parlee Brook there are a couple more little canyons formed in the conglomerate rock. Cool places even if they aren't any good for climbing.
Graham
gwa

Return to Nova Scotia