Columbus Wall

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Columbus Wall

Postby Ryan_woods » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Just spent the day into Columbus wall, great day and good climbing. I haven't been there for awhile and it looked a little different, just wanted to give props to whoever did some of the tree cleanup otherwise it would look like a disaster zone. Also noticed some webbing and rap rings above a couple climbs on the trees, I checked them out and they seemed fairly new, so kudos to whoever did that too.

Ryan Woodsworth
Ryan_woods

Re: Columbus Wall

Postby stoneseeker » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:42 pm

You mean the trees under the keyhole wall ("Mr.Miagi" specifically) have been cleared?!
I almost got impaled on a branch when I fell off the arete once!
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby Ryan_woods » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:25 pm

stoneseeker wrote:You mean the trees under the keyhole wall

That one in particular is still there along with another one laying perpendicular to it that someone must have chopped down with an axe from up by "origins of life" which I thought was kind of strange but I did notice some other ones that had been cleaned up, Maybe if anyone is interested we could go clean up the ones by the keyhole wall some day, I'd be up for it, Not sure who to contact though if the landowner would have to give permission that is if it was necessary.
Ryan_woods

Postby mick » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:18 pm

That big felled tree should be cleared some day, but I expect it will require a chainsaw. I've spoken a few times with the owner of Columbus Wall and he's a nice and reasonable man. He knows CNS has held a Clean and Climb there in the past and that climbers frequent the area. I don't think he would have a problem with someone removing the downed timber.

Todd and I chopped the limbs off that tree at Keyhole and I installed the rap slings and rings on the trees at the top of 1492 and Heavy Petter. The tree at the top of Keyhole is showing lots of wear from years of being rapped off; the new ring should keep it alive a bit longer and make pulling the rope easier. I hope to install similar setups at First Face this season.

DISCLAIMER: Although those rap stations were safe to my satisfaction when I installed them in the autumn, note that I can make no guarantees about their condition and safety today or whenever you might use them. All fixed gear should be scrutinized before you trust your life to it.
mick

Return to Nova Scotia