Boulderfest 2011

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Boulderfest 2011

Postby mick » Mon May 09, 2011 9:11 am

Boulderfest 2011 tickets go on sale Wednesday May 11 at noon. You can buy them online at http://www.climbnovascotia.ca with paypal or in person at the Trail Shop on Quinpool road in Halifax. Tickets are limited and this event will sell out so don't wait!
Attachments
BFEST 2011 poster May 6 2011.jpg
mick

Re: Boulderfest 2011

Postby Scooter » Wed May 11, 2011 10:19 am

TICKETS ON SALE TODAY 12:00PM SHARP
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby mick » Wed May 11, 2011 11:02 am

Boulderfest 2011 weekend pass tickets are on sale now. You can buy yours with paypal at climbnovascotia.ca or at the Trail Shop on Quinpool Road in Halifax.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Can you hold a ticket for me?
A: No, sorry.

Q: When is Boulderfest?
A: July 30 & 31st 2011. If it rains, the event might be pushed back a day to July 31 & Aug 1 (which is a holiday Monday)

Q: Where is Boulderfest?
A: Boulderfest is held on Dover Island, 1km offshore from West Dover, Nova Scotia, Canada, which is in North America, which is on Earth. Driving directions from Halifax, Nova Scotia will be emailed to you if you buy a ticket.

Q: What do I get for my weekend pass ticket fee?
A: Transportation to and from Dover Island, parking on the mainland, dinner on Saturday night, coffee and breakfast on Sunday morning, an event t-shirt and goodie bag, the chance to win lots of awesome prizes, and the sickest bouldering you've ever seen.

Q: What is not included?
A: You must bring your own water, climbing equipment, camping gear, snacks, camera, and appropriate clothing. A full list of suggested supplies will be emailed to you before the event if you buy a ticket.

Q: How many tickets are available for the weekend?
A: Less than 100. Dover Island is a fragile ecosystem and too many people out there at one time can cause irreparable damage to the flora and fauna.

Q: Can I bring my dog and some glass bottles to Boulderfest?
A: No. Dogs are not permitted at Boulderfest. Please do not bring glass bottles to Boulderfest, you will be asked to leave them on the mainland.

Q: What if I buy a ticket and then don't want it anymore?
A: There will be NO REFUNDS on Boulderfest tickets UNLESS THE EVENT IS CANCELED. You may sell your ticket to someone else as long as you notify Climb Nova Scotia who you have sold it to so we can email them event details.

Q: I don't have a credit card, how can I buy a ticket?
A: Paypal can bill your bank account directly; a credit card is not required. If you don't trust the banks and keep all of your money under your mattress, you will need to put on your tinfoil anti-mindcontrol hat and go to the Trail Shop in Halifax to pay with cash.

Q: Isn't this climbing stuff dangerous?
A: Yes, it certainly can be. You are responsible for your own safety while on Dover. All participants will be required to sign a waiver on the day of the event before being allowed on the island. You can read the waiver ahead of time at http://www.climbnovascotia.ca/pdf/other/CNSWAIVER.pdf
mick

Postby Scooter » Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 am

1/3 LEFT! THAT'S ONLY 25!!
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Kevin_Lüthy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:06 am

Right after Boulderfest I need to go to Boston and I heard some people from Boston will attend this year.
How can I contact them?

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin_Lüthy

Postby Kevin_Lüthy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 am

I just noticed that before I had posted an invalid mail address. It's fixed now.
Kevin_Lüthy

Postby mick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 am

We would like to take the opportunity to remind you of the event and any extra items you may way to bring to ensure your Boulderfest experience is MOST DOPE!

WE WILL BE PARKING AT THE NEW BOAT LAUNCH (ROD'S)

Driving directions from the Esso at the Armdale Rotary are here:
http://tinyurl.com/3q4vdea

Boats will begin boarding around 9:00am Saturday, July 30th and we will board on a first come, first serve basis (Don’t worry- Everyone will get on the Island)! Returning boats on Sunday, July 31st, will start around 12:00pm and run until every person is off the Island. Please be respectful of Giz, Rod and Norm's efforts and try to arrange a return boat with a group of climbers prior to Sunday.

In the event of rain, the event may be rescheduled for a day later - meaning that boats will leave Sunday morning and return Monday. If CNS decides to reschedule we will notify you via email and on the website and forum at noon on Friday.

Menu on the island will be cheese and spinach filled pasta with sauce options (tomato based and pesto) as well as cheese and meat toppings. a garden salad with dressing options, and a bread roll. Coffee and tea will be served in the morning with fruit and probably pastries. IF YOU CAN'T EAT THIS MENU YOU NEED TO BRING YOUR OWN FOOD.

Please practice ‘Leave No Trace’ while on the Island. This means pack up all your trash, tape and food scraps and take it off the Island with you. Please be respectful of plants and wildlife. Stick to existing trails and watch where you pitch your tent (please stick to the main camping area near the beach and try to pitch your tent in areas that have seen use).

Here is a list of items you will need to bring:

Tent & Sleeping Bag and/or tarp & bivy bag)
Solid, sturdy hiking or approach shoes
4L of water – Minimum!
Eating utensils (plate, bowl, fork, knife, spoon and mug)
Head lamp and extra batteries
Camera
Sweater and other warm clothing (hat, extra socks etc)
Lunches & Snacks (CNS will provide Supper for everyone on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday – all other food is the responsibility of the individual)
Sunscreen, sunglasses, hat
Rainwear (If we all bring it, it won’t rain!)
Climbing Gear (Shoes, Pad, Chalk/ chalk bag)

See you @ Boulderfest!

Climb Nova Scotia

***PLEASE DO NOT BRING GLASS TO THE ISLAND***

***YOU MAY BE PHOTOGRAPHED OR VIDEO RECORDED AT THIS EVENT***

***DOGS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED ON THE BOAT***

***LEAVE NO TRACE***
mick

Postby Kevin_Lüthy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Would a nice climber going from Halifax to Dover Island give me a lift to Boulderfest? I'm visiting from Germany and don't have a car.
Kevin_Lüthy

Postby stoneseeker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:37 pm

the weather forecast is scaring me. How much rain would it take before you guys push it ahead a day?
I for one am quite willing to camp in the rain in hopes for that 2 hour window of climbing, and to get my monies worth.
We wouldn't be able to attend Monday or Sunday night so I'm just curious... and biased.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby fuchsl » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

I'd camp in the rain...
fuchsl

Postby mick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:33 am

BFEST DATE CHANGE

It's going to rain all day Saturday so we're moving Bfest to Sunday-Monday. Sorry about that!

Details here:

http://www.climbnovascotia.ca/2011/07/b ... te-change/
mick

Postby stoneseeker » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 am

crapola.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby Rowan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Would a nice climber going from Halifax to Dover Island give me a lift to Boulderfest? I'm visiting from Germany and don't have a car.

Kevin if you haven't sorted out a lift yet, I can help - give me a call at 449 7744 some time tomorrow. I'm in the north end of Halifax.
Room (Rav4) for one more, maybe, especially if that one is not bringing a pad.
Rowan

Postby Rowan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 pm

I've put up some pictures from Boulderfest on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54433808@N00/sets/72157627381116036/
Also a video on YouTube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1RoYW-UNI
Can somebody message me with this guy's name so I can add it to the video caption, and also to the pic of him on Exciter? I guess I should have asked! Also please let me know if any other names or facts are wrong, or if you'd like anything taken down, added or amended.
I'd rather not repeat last year's debacle.
Rowan

Postby Rowan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:16 pm

Also, I meant to add (guess I can't edit posts?) if anybody wants any higher res copies - the ones on Flickr are all somewhat diminished.
Rowan

Postby Holly Reid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Hey Rowan, nice shots. That's Joe Ho on The Wave and Exciter. I sent him the links so he could see too. Now are you telling me there was a debacle last year and I didn't even hear about it?! : P
Holly Reid

Postby Rowan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks Holly - I've updated the info to give the dude some credit - he's pretty good at climbing!
The 'debacle' last year was just that I got some names misspelled or just plain wrong, but nobody told me. I only figured it out by going through people's wallets while they were climbing at Ground Zero.
Rowan

Postby Holly Reid » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:37 pm

hahaha, no problem.
Holly Reid

Postby seanT » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:18 am

To bad you missed the action in the LLG Rowan! Dont worry Holly what happens in the Grotto stays in the Grotto.....
seanT

Postby stoneseeker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:28 am

Nice pics Rowan! Some of the best shots I've seen of the island.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby Rowan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks very much, Luke. By the way I see you (and a bunch of other locals) are in the Dover videos that a Japanese climber has posted on YouTube. The weather wasn't quite as photogenic then (Canada Day weekend?) but they're still interesting.

Too bad you missed the action in the LLG

Now that you mention it I did hear noises coming from down there, but I thought it was the fog horn!
Rowan

Return to Nova Scotia