Visiting climber from Norway - in Halifax for one week end A

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Visiting climber from Norway - in Halifax for one week end A

Postby tkk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:24 am

Hello everybody.
I will be visiting Halifax for one week (aug 28-sept 4) and I am looking to get a taste of what seems to be brilliant climbing in the area. If somebody ultra-friendly would like to show me around that would be fantastic, but I suspect that I will have to do the exploration on my own. Is there any place where I can hire a bouldering mat? Where is the best place to boulder on your own? I boulder up to V6. Of course I would love to visit Dover Island but since I will be on a conference during the day (except on Monday) I doubt that there will be time for that - so close to Halifax is good. Also, where to go inside if i rains?

In addition to these and many more questions I am also looking into buying some gear (seeing these things are super-expensive here in Norway). I belive the MEC-shop is the best place to go, but I can not find any details on what they have in the store in Halifax. What I am looking for is a extra set of Camalots (0.5 - 4), BD Express ice-screws, new ice-axes and Arc`teryx/MEC Proshell jacket. Does anybody know if these things are normally in stock at this time? Or do anyone of you have any contact information, preferably email, to the MEC-people so I can ask directly?

If anybody replies to this I would be very grateful. And if you have any questions regarding climbing in Norway I would be more than happy to help you out - we have some great rock and ice over here too.

Regards,
Trond Kristian
tkk

Re: Visiting climber from Norway - in Halifax for one week end A

Postby Scooter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:58 am

I work during the day so I mostly head out during the evenings - if that works for you I'm down to show you around. Just send me a message when you're in town and looking to get out.

Also - MEC Halifax is usually stocked with everything you listed minus the Arc'teryx. You can buy Arc'teryx equipment at the Trail Shop on Quinpool Rd (central Halifax) though.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby tkk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:09 am

Fantastic Scott! That would be brilliant!

I will contact you when I get into town. Looking forward and crossing fingers for some nice weather.

-tk
tkk

Postby HDW » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:56 am

Depending on what kind of axes you are looking for I doubt they will have them in stock in Halifax. If I were you I'd order them ahead of time from MEC over the internet and have them shipped to the Halifax store (free shipping when you pick stuff up at a store). I'd probably do that for the screws and the cams too just to make sure I got what I wanted.
HDW

Postby smilingrock » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:52 am

Hi Trond. I agree with HDW. Order what you want to buy at MEC so that they're sure to have it when you're here. MEC is a co-op so you need to be a member to shop there. I think it costs $5 to become a member, and that's for life. The Trail Shop can also order in the jacket you want, as long as Arc' teryx has it in stock.

As for climbing, there should be enough of us here to get you out bouldering/climbing and show you around. My wife is pregnant so you can borrow her boulder pad for the week. Send another message just before you get here and we can make more definite plans. I think you'll love the bouldering here. We have some great problems!

Mike
smilingrock

Postby TMN » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:22 pm

I'll be around and likely available to climb as well. I lived in Norway for two amazing years so would love to climb and reminisce.

So sorry to hear about the recent tragic events in Norway.

Talk soon,

Jess
TMN

Return to Nova Scotia