Bouldering in Sandy Cove this weekend!

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Bouldering in Sandy Cove this weekend!

Postby buttbutt » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:27 am

Hey all! Myself and some friends are going bouldering in Sandy Cove, down in the Digby Neck area this weekend. We have never climbed there before and heard it was a great time. Just letting people know if they are looking to do some climbing on the last weekend of summer, they should join us! :) The plan is to spend Friday through to Sunday there. Also, we are sorta playing it by ear when we get there, so if anyone has bouldered there before and has some advice, please let me know :)

hbtvr@stu.ca

Jules
buttbutt

Re: Bouldering in Sandy Cove this weekend!

Postby Rowan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:52 am

I don't know about Sandy Cove, but at Whale Cove (about 10mins away) there are some amazing boulders that look like something out of Fontainebleau. We were staying at the campsite nearby (pretty good but basic). You can't miss them, just drive down as far as you can - and then walk a little bit further past some wrecked boats and there you are. I didn't do any climbing there (we were just down looking at the sunset) but they looked really good. That volcanic rock is so nice, it's like gritstone.
Rowan

Postby stoneseeker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:19 pm

it is nice, but beware!
Several small holds broke off on us while we there, and even a large flake blew off underfoot, so be careful what you grab. Other wise nice features.
While your there, make sure to check out the trout cove sport climbing, much better quality than the bouldering in my opinion. The rock is solid, and climbs slightly overhanging featured walls, very very cool. Just watch out for ticks.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby Baxterminator » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:29 pm

I saw some cool bouldering potential on the tip of briar island, we also camped by the lighthouse for free.
Just follow the coast left from the lighthouse and you will be pleased.
Baxterminator

Return to Nova Scotia