No Love for Tour De Bloc?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

No Love for Tour De Bloc?

Postby Scooter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Is everyone aware that we are quite likely to lose the TDB venue for Atlantic Canada?

Nobody give a frig or what?
Scott.R
Scooter

Re: No Love for Tour De Bloc?

Postby seanT » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:37 pm

We have already lost the Regionals so without a regionals who cares? A Tour de bloc local event is a waste of time without a regionals. GZ made it clear to the Tour that we would host a Regional event and it would be off the hook and they didnt give 2 hoots. My suggestion is The Atlantic cup. 1 event at Rock Court..1 at UNB and a giant mega final event at Ground Zero in Febuary. Who's with me?!!
SeanT
seanT

Postby Scooter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:38 pm

I have to disagree with you here, Sean.

In my experience the Regional Comps here in NS do not see much more of a larger turnout than a Local Comp would. I don't see why you (you being a general experssion) cannot make a Local just as good as a Regional!? It's not like the Regional hosts get strippers jumping out of cakes or anything.

Besides - what about your members? Do you not think that your Junior Team would aspire to climb in a National Touring Competition? What about the local climbing scene? That's your market.

What's the real reason? I may be speculating here a bit but - What if I suggested the "Mega Final Event" for the "Atlantic Cup" be held at UNB? Would you still be down?
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby seanT » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:41 pm

There are several reasons.
It costs Ground Zero a crapload of money to put on and host a event. You saw what we did 2 years ago at the Massacre has that sort of thing happend at the rock court...UNB? CAN that sort of thing happen? I dont think so. Trying to cram 50+ competitors and spectators into the rock court is unreasonable. Same goes for UNB.(no offence to UNB i love that place)
We are only interested in a Regionals also because we look at doing a event like that as a way to promote the gym for out of area climbers IE people from Quebec and Ontario and they will not come all this way for a local event but they probably would for a Regional. It isnt that you cant make a local as good as a regional its more that we just dont want to bother with a local,, been there done that...we want to see a progression...local,,,then regionals,,then Nationals. As far as the mega final event, look at it from a business point of view because that is what Ground Zero is right.. a business. UNB not a business. Rock court not a business. How much money comes out of Heathers pocket to put on a event? How much money does UNB lose putting on a event? Sure either of those venues COULD host the mega finals but does it make sense logically for one of the 2 smallest venues in the region to host the largest event?
So being straight up honest We do comps for 2 reasons. 1 to put on a big competitive event to help promote that aspect of indoor climbing. and 2 to help promote Ground Zero Climbing Gym. We definitly do not put on comps to make money.
I think in this region only a small handfull of climbers actually care about the "National" aspect of the tour de bloc...im talking Holly...mabye YOU.. Ben B, Chrissy..the usual suspects. My members could care less, what they want is a quality event that is super awesome. They dont want to be crammed into some danky hole with no ventilation and having other climbers landing on them.
Tour de bloc...great idea...best scenario for East coast local UNB...local Rock court...Regionals GZ.
They wouldn't give us the Regionals. They dont WANT a regionals out here dont get pissy with me get pissy with the tour de bloc.
SeanT
seanT

Postby Scooter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:24 pm

I could care less about the regionals.

What I do care about is the lack of effort put into BOTH of the climbing gyms here in Nova Scotia. Nobody wants to hire route setters. Nobody wants to build good walls. Nobody wants to make improvements and nobody could give a rats ass what the climbers (WHO CLIMB AT THEIR GYMS) want. To be frank - the climbing at our local gyms is WHACK dude. Stale as flowers.

UNB is hands down the best gym in Atlantic Canada and that is because they are a member driven operation who listens to their community. PS I've seen 50+ in that gym and it rocked.

You want progression and your suggestion is for us to wipe out the TDB from Atlantic Canada altogether. I.AM.SORRY.BUT.I.DO.NOT.QUITE.UNDERSTAND. Sounds like more of an issue of pride to me.

NEWS FLASH - Nationals is not coming to Nova Scotia. We don't have the gym to support it. Not GZ 1, not GZ 2 and certainly not RC. We also don't have the support of the climbers in community. Why? Because nobody comes out to Tour de Bloc. I'll leave it up to you to find an answer. *HINT* - It is right under your nose.

It's not all on the gyms. I find it hard to believe that a climbing community so deep and connected in NS and NB cannot find the support to host and Atlantic Block (volunteer based). I am truly disappointed with the lack of effort to try and make it work.

Or, I guess. frig it. Your business is surviving. frig TDB. frig climbing. frig LOCAL climbers.

On the topic of business: Make use of what you got - and that is not a national gym, if at all regional. Also - Rock Court is a business. Dalplex is a business. I honestly do not understand why you are concerned with promoting indoor climbing to those in Quebec and Ontario. As a business - that's poor market analysis. If it costs a crapload - try to reach out to volunteers?! I bet we could put on a banging event.

TDB @ GZ 2 years ago - kicked ass. I got frigging AMPED. Too bad we won't be seeing anything like that anytime soon?

You answered my question though: Nobody give a frig or what? <-- I'll put you down as a no.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby seanT » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Here this may help
#2 and #4 in particular
http://www.midol.com/eat_to_beat_PMS.html
seanT

Postby Scooter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:38 am

:P
warranted