Grover access

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Grover access

Postby mick » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:31 am

The old access path to Grover as outlined in Zig's guidebook is no longer available, as many of you know. The landowners built a house right in the middle of the path and they don't want anyone on their land.

Quinn, Kodama, Seb, and I cut a new trail yesterday that is entirely on Crown land and shaves about 300m off the approach. Park at the normal pullout, then walk north back up the road for about 50m. Enter the woods at a faint ATV trail just past the driveway of the first house and after about 10m of uncleared swampy ground you will hit a clear and wide trail flagged with orange tape. Follow it for 460m around the lake until you gain the granite atv trails and link up with the old approach.

Keep a low profile and be polite to the locals.
mick

Re: Grover access

Postby stoneseeker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Awesome!
thanks guys
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby allan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Followed the old route in my ignorance last Sunday and found myself wandering through someone's front yard being barked at... no more. Right on lads
allan

Postby smilingrock » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks for making that happen. I also heard a rumour Quinn has been hard at work cutting trails amongst the boulders there as well. Thanks again for all the hard work.

Mike
smilingrock

Postby Quinn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Grover is my favorite area, and the last frontier of Halifax Bouldering. So much untapped potential, and super concentrated - google earth shows over a dozen HUGE walls and boulders beyond the currently explored boundaries. I'm trying to generate enthusiasm to do trail maintainance to all the classic established areas. This increases accessibility, and makes further exploration much easier. For example - Black Beast is one of the best V5s in Nova Scotia... and nobody climbs it. Sad. Even people who know where it is can't find it easily - just ask Mick, Craig, and Blakney about their last session... Who here has tried Trail blazer? The Hunted? Shotgun Willie? People would give their first born child for climbs like these in many parts of the world. Since it's in the woods, trail maintainance is easy, and we could even use trail blazes like the Appalachian trail. I just need one afternoon of your time...
Quinn

Postby Baxterminator » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:08 pm

I've got a bad ass machete. Haven't been to grover yet, I'd love to get out and hack some bush.
Baxterminator

Postby smilingrock » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:34 am

I'll donate an afternoon of my time. Hanging out in a woods full of boulders with guys swinging machetes and chainsaws while their eyes are on the boulders sounds invigorating! Who's going to set up a day and time? It would need to be a weekend for me to participate.
smilingrock

Postby keir » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:01 pm

I was just out there today for the first time. Great work on the trail; it was easy to follow and looks like it was a heck of a lot of work.

Like the above posts, I'd be willing to spend a few hours cleaning up some of the approach/landings if someone wants to pick a date.
keir

Postby Quinn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 am

Official post on Climb Nova Scotia

http://www.climbnovascotia.ca/2011/10/grover-access/
Quinn

Return to Nova Scotia