Thoughtful Spot Info

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Thoughtful Spot Info

Postby Ben-Thorfinn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:14 pm

The old rope for the downclimb of More Coffee and such is "out of service". Gave out on me when I was coming down. (Was stupid....didn't check it out before). Got a replacement rope and planning on going out there tomorrow or Sunday and maybe clean up some of the trail while I'm at it. Thought I'd let people know.
Ben-Thorfinn

Re: Thoughtful Spot Info

Postby stoneseeker » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Dude I heard you took quite the spill into the bushes below! Scary stuff, glad you didn't get too hurt.
Thanks for replacing the rope!

I wonder though, is the rope totally necessary to get down from there?
Perhaps over time it would just be more dangerous to use a rope that sits out over the seasons, than it would be to but slide down that slab... I may be forgetting how steep it is though.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby Ben-Thorfinn » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:05 pm

I was having similar thoughts.....I'll check it out when I go tomorrow; wasn't able to make it out today.
Ben-Thorfinn

Postby Ben-Thorfinn » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Set up a new/old rope assembly today. Added makeshift "shield" so the rope won't rub against the rock and cut through again. Use caution anyway :D Found the trail to be cleared and cleaned up quite a bit so thanks to whoever did that. Awesome stuff!
Ben-Thorfinn

Postby Quinn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:37 am

A big thanks to Mick for the trail maintainance. It doesn't take much time folks, and everyone benefits. The best tool for the job is the Fiskars Power Gears

quickly and easily cuts brush and branches using a unique mechanical mechanism.
Quinn

Postby Quinn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:39 am

Also, well maintained trails reduce overall ecological impact by limiting erosion and repetitive bush whacking.
Quinn

Postby Quinn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 am

In terms of the rope - use at your own risk. My preference is to simply down climb - it is definitely not a difficult down climb. The rope will eventually fail again, risking a serious fall or a head injury.
Quinn

Postby mick » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:37 am

I would discourage people from getting overzealous with trail maintenance. We don't need to clear cut every approach, and trails that get too wide end up being used by atvs and then they are quickly ruined.

Also, many of our climbing areas are on protected wilderness reserves or private land where brush removal may be illegal. Upon closer inspection the new Grover trail may be an example of this so we'll have to be more diligent in the future.

As always, keep a low profile when visiting climbing areas - access may be jeopardized by a well-intentioned act.
mick

Postby Quinn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Yes, I forgot to add - use your brain.

A light trimming with hand held shears to an already established trail is different than using a gas powered brush saw and chainsaw to create a highway to the boulders. Clearing windfall, and overgrowth of shrubs is entirely appropriate. New tree cutting to make room for an ATV is NOT.

Considering virtually zero trail maintainance has occurred in the last 10 years I wouldn't be too concerned with things getting out of control. However, this is the interwebz so I shouldn't make any assumptions.
Quinn

Return to Nova Scotia