Cape Breton Highlands NP

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Cape Breton Highlands NP

Postby Isomer » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:52 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the Black Brook mini guide that I have seen alluded to in various places?
Isomer

Postby martha » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:26 am

I don't know that there is a mini guide, but on the CNS website there is a 'terms of use' agreement that must be followed and signed by any climber who goes there.

Check it out.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Teth » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:00 pm

Climbing at Black Brook is not quite legal yet. The Park bureaucrats still need to dot some i’s and cross some t’s, but it should happen soon. The document you have to sign to climb should be available at the front gate of the park once things are finalized.

I would guess that park warden Clarence Barrett would have been involved in the Black Brook guide, or at least know who has it. I believe he was involved with the original guide to Cape Breton printed in the 1970's. He is the living embodiment of the history of Cape Breton Climbing. You may be able to track him down through the park staff. Be sure to speak his name with an appropriate amount of reverence.

Teth
The Teth

Postby Isomer » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:20 pm

I wasn't actually planning to climb until the green light is given. However, since I was planning on being in the area this weekend I thought I would do a little reconnaissance mission. And any available topo's would certainly help in this vein.
Isomer

Postby The Teth » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:39 am

If you are in the area, definitely try to track down Park Warden Clarence Barrett. For any question about climbing in Cape Breton, he would be the first one to ask.

Teth
The Teth

Return to Nova Scotia