COLUMBUS WALL CLEAN and maybe climb.

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Postby pulldown » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:05 pm

In the spirit of the season it's time again to give back to Columbus Wall for all the joy it's brought us. The last few years have been hard on the trees surrounding the crag.
Many have died or blown over making a general mess of things and a few of the routes could use a bit of scrubbing and maintenance.

On December 17 we will be holding a clean and climb at Columbus Wall with the objective of clearing up some trees and installing and replacing anchors. It would also be great if a few routes got a bit of a scrubbing and afterward (weather permitting) we can get some climbing in.

Climb Nova Scotia will provide brushes, pre-set anchors and ropes, gloves and safety glasses and helmets. They will also provide coffee and hot chocolate if there are enough volunteers to carry in the water need.
Join us at the Columbus wall parking area at 11am on December 17. See you there.
pulldown

Re: COLUMBUS WALL CLEAN and maybe climb.

Postby seanT » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:16 pm

If needed I will lend out the BullDog and I have a chainsaw that can be borrowed as well just needs fuel.
Not sure if ill make it out.
seanT

Postby pulldown » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:52 am

Just a reminder of the Columbus Wall Clean and climb. The rain looks like it will be over by Saturday, so we are a go.

The temperatures are looking to be a bit on the cool side but don't despair the Ground Zero Sociable is that night and we will likely be going there after.

Hope to see a good turnout. The work we put into Columbus wall this weekend will be a huge payoff for spring.

Todd
pulldown

Postby Corniaud » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:31 am

Wrong timing I guess...

I have already commited to Saturday Night Sociable...
Corniaud

Postby Lylia » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Is the clean up still going ahead tomorrow? Thought I'd double check
Lylia

Postby mick » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Columbus clean and climb was remarkably productive! Anchors installed above Coping Retrogressively, bolt added to JP's Arete [?], ladder built to go from Keyhole wall to 3D ledge, bench fashioned at Pet Wall, rediculous stumps cut down, deadfall cleared... All in all a good day's work.

Thanks to everyone who came out, Lylia sorry I didn't see your post until now - we'll get you out next time.

mick

ps. Whoever is responsible for all the trees cut down at Columbus wall: PLEASE DON'T DO THAT ANYWHERE EVER AGAIN. I have no idea who it was, but felling upwards of 20 healthy trees for no reason sloppily with a hatchet and leaving stumps that are waist high is facking rutarded and you need your goddamm head examined.

In addition to the awful aesthetics, increased erosion, and dangerous placement of pointy stumps, you are jeopardising of access to that area for everyone. The owners operate a woodlot and you are essentially stealing from them by cutting down healthy trees. Also, you skinned four healthy trees no where near any climbs - these will die and rot by next year.

Thanks for that you degenerate morons.
mick

Postby chameleon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Pretty sure Mick meant "root-tarded"

Other improvements made on the weekend:

- Path down from the top to the "Headpoint Wall" is cleared

- The route "GQ" is freshly scrubbed. This is an oft-overlooked-decent line. Get on it. (BTW thanks to whoever cleared off that fallen tree that was in the way earlier this year)
chameleon

Return to Nova Scotia