Any ice yet?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Any ice yet?

Postby Simon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:31 am

Does anyone have been out on ice yet in NS or NB? What is the ice condition? I drove through NB over the Christmas and there was pletty on the side of the hwy but we had lots of rain in Halifax.
Simon

Re: Any ice yet?

Postby HDW » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Things are looking up:

Picture 2.png
HDW

Postby tintanium » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:35 am

Lylia and I checked out some ice yesterday (Tuesday). The Falls Lake power dam flow was nowhere near formed and was freely running with water. Baxter's Falls is beginning to form, and the walls to the right of the falls would offer some good mixed right now given a good tide window. Black Hole was surprisingly well-formed, and we ran top rope laps on Rich's Line and What Would Dave Do. We were still pinging off rock occasionally, but the ice was much better than we anticipated. It should fatten up considerably today and tomorrow/tomorrow night. Fingers crossed it survives Friday's projected rain.
tintanium

Postby Nette » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 am

I would be up for some climbing on the 21st-22nd if anyone is down. Maybe Halls?

Nette
Nette

Postby Simon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Anybody up for some ice on Monday or Tues? Temperature is in -9 to -12 on Sunday and Monday and 0 on tues. Low tides are at 1114hrs and 1214hrs so it looks good for those 2 days.

Nette wrote:I would be up for some climbing on the 21st-22nd if anyone is down. Maybe Halls?

Nette

I will be up for some ice on the 21-22nd, weekend but it would be a late day as the tides are high at 10am and 11am for those 2 days.

Simon
Simon

Postby Nette » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:55 pm

There is always inland stuff to do, or if Halls East is in we can get on the lines that are less effected by tides.

Let's just hope the warm temps and rain don't destroy too much ice tomorrow!

Nette
Nette

Postby Rowan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:06 am

The excavation for the new library has some nice looking lines.
Rowan

Postby Matt Peck » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:44 am

Im planning to head out for some night ice at Black hole on monday night, if anyone's interested?
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby HDW » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:21 am

Matt Peck wrote:Im planning to head out for some night ice at Black hole on monday night, if anyone's interested?

what time would you leave town?
HDW

Postby Scooter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:36 am

Simon wrote:Anybody up for some ice on Monday or Tues? Temperature is in -9 to -12 on Sunday and Monday and 0 on tues. Low tides are at 1114hrs and 1214hrs so it looks good for those 2 days.

Nette wrote:I would be up for some climbing on the 21st-22nd if anyone is down. Maybe Halls?

Nette

I will be up for some ice on the 21-22nd, weekend but it would be a late day as the tides are high at 10am and 11am for those 2 days.

Simon

I'm up for some ice then as well.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Simon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:49 am

We were out yesterday to explore in Musquodoboit. We stopped at the J-spot and there was nothing if a little bit here and there but nothing too valuable to climb.

We went to main face and there...if it would be very cold for a while, it would probably be the best ice climb route in NS!! It's on the left side of the wall when you walk down by the cabin and it would be a 50-60m of straight vertical stuff...beautifull but it would be probably a rare thing to form.

We finish with some ice climbing at Gibraltar. The ice was in and fat enought at some place for good short ice screws but we top rop some really nice thin stuff. With the temperature of 7degrees today, the fat stuff should still be there but the thin might melt. Sounds like the temprerature in the next few days may bring some thin stuf in place.
Simon

Postby Simon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:41 pm

We were out again this Sunday. The weather has been really warm in Hall's Harbour last week but the 100 footer was still doable in top rop. I wouldn't lead it for a while since there was water running under. The one to the left of the 100 footer was in place too with top rope. We didn't climb them because we would have had to go back to the car and trive from the top to reppel donw.

All the rest of Hall's Harbour, especially Hall's right, was all gone. We manage to climb Black hole and it was pretty good except the first route when you come in, the entire bottom was out. We just got sprayed on a little but never got wet.
Simon

Return to Nova Scotia