MoBeta

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

MoBeta

Postby seanT » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Just had my first visit to MoBeta....love it... soooo cool seeing the old guidebooks....brings back a lot of memories....Will try to fill in the blanks as things pop up...
Love Boat...from the photo i would say this is the BORG boulder...if it is sort of back in behind Cheescake area and down at the bottom of a ridge then yes it is the Borg Boulder. Pretty much every line listed has been sent approx 10yrs ago...I think i can remember some of the names involved....Mike Mason, Sean Kelly, , Dr Wiggles, few others did the scrubbing, Lance Thruster did the sending! There is a Killer V5 sds on the back side of that boulder as well. And yes some of the boulders in the trees got climbed on this spring when the Jagermiester tour of the obscure made a stop there. 3 NEW lines went up..first new stuff there in 10 yrs. Keep up the good work.
CrumpleON!!!
SeanT aka Lance Thruster
Any way keep up the good work
seanT

Re: MoBeta

Postby Quinn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:34 am

Lance, you the original climbing gangsta. If your interested in getting out and documenting some of these lost gems give me a shout.

For practical and ethical reasons, undocumented climbs are fair game for repeat "first ascents". If you can provide a reference to previous documentation, we are happy up update the site accordingly. Any interested developers can have editing privlidges to make the changes themselves. It's easy as posting on this forum.

Mobeta's official policy on FA, as articulated by Sir William Martin Conway in 1894,
The only object of recording ascents at all is for the help and direction of aftercomers. The credit due to explorers can only be measured by the utility of their work to others. The first ascent is therefore the first recorded ascent--the first ascent so recorded that others are enabled to follow easily where the first man forced his way in doubt and perplexity. An unrecorded ascent is nothing; one badly recorded is little more. The man who merely ascends a peak and contents himself with stating the fact can only be regarded as swaggering. If he records his route in plain language he deserves thanks. If he so records it that readers can discover its interest and beauty compared with the interest and beauty of other ascents, he deserves much more credit.
Quinn

Postby Quinn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:45 am

And before Keith Sawyer logs in and says "but I climbed everything everywhere... I just didn't name or grade it", this policy is non-negotiable for this very reason.

That said, we all friends here, and if you want credit for an ascent that has special significance to you, we can make that happen.

But please, if you have climbed undocumented lines that you would like to see on Mobeta, please please submit them before we go through the work of rediscovering, photographing, GPSing, climbing and filming. Claiming it after the fact will be not looked on favorabily. Except in your case Lance, cause we know you're new to the interwebz.

If one of the lines alreay up is in a old topo or website or even photo you have laying around, this is considered previously documented, so just bring this to our attention and we will fix it.
Quinn

Postby Rich » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:03 pm

With all due respect to Sir William Martin Conway and his disciples...its not like we're talking about alpine climbs here. Not evrybody documents in hard copy or electronic form every little piece of boulder they happen to climb. Its reasonable and common to id a problem as "1st ascent unknown" if there is uncertainty (evidence of previous scrubbing is usually present for boulder problems).

peace

r
Rich

Postby Quinn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Agree. Partially. It's not absolute, but Sir Martin's opinion does have merit. As already mentioned - if a climb has special significance, feel free to claim it. As you said, people don't bother name every scrap of rock they climb. It follows if they don't care enough to document it, they shouldn't be bothered when we put in the work and include it in a topo.

We are putting up hundreds of climbs, they need names, and we won't be holding off on developing topos chasing down names because there might have been scrubbing. We won't be addressing every person who comes out of the woodwork saying "hey that's mine" but didn't bother contribute anything in the first place. Always happy to accept new contributors - not new complainers.

Feel free to join in and contribute if you care about scraps of rocks you climbed.
Quinn

Postby Quinn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Ultimately, debating this is pointless. If you see something you want changed, feel free to login and change it. The site is maintained by volunteers - we don't take orders, we take contributions. If you would like access send your request to

admin@cnsmobeta.ca
Quinn

Postby Quinn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:48 pm

A big thanks to all of the prominent contributors to Mobeta so far: Luke Buxton, Mick Levin, Chris Richardson, and Craig Stamp. All contributions are welcome, it's quick, easy, and fun!
Quinn

Postby Quinn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Oops, and Heather - the IT person behind the Sheet Harbour topos, and anyone else I missed! Thanks guys, been an incredible start, acomplished a lot in not even one year, can't wait to see where we go from here!
Quinn

Return to Nova Scotia