shoe repair

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

shoe repair

Postby Scooter » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:26 am

anybody know of some good quality rock shoe resolers located inside canada?
Scooter

Postby martha » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:48 am

The quick cobbler in Vancouver.

I've had several pairs of shoes done there and they are awesome.

http://www.quickcobbler.com

It works out to about half the price of a pair of new shoes. They ship them back to you at no charge express post so you have them back in decent time.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Scooter » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:04 am

well that was quick!
thanks for your response. i was looking on their website the other day, i just wasn't sure how good they were!
Scooter

Postby martha » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:34 am

oh yeah, they are super good. just as good as new shoes. even if you have holes in the rand. they repair them and put new 5.10 rubber on.

soooo good.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:50 am

I've seen lots of shoes come back from them and I think they do a great job. I"m not one for re-soles but they seem to be the best I've seen.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:02 am

martha wrote:It works out to about half the price of a pair of new shoes.

Yeah, because they last half as long as new pair of shoes, but are *not* just as good. Screw it man, buy a new pair.
mitchleblanc

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:03 am

martha wrote:oh yeah, they are super good. just as good as new shoes. even if you have holes in the rand. they repair them and put new 5.10 rubber on.

soooo good.

SOOOOOO pointless.
mitchleblanc

Postby Scooter » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:13 am

man i need to save all the money i can
its definately worth it
Scooter

Postby The Teth » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:24 pm

While mitchleblanc’s comments do hold true for slippers (this has been my experience with 5.10 moccasins), he is wrong when it comes to a sturdily built shoes such as most lace-ups. If the shoes happen to be made by Boreal then resoling it with 5.10 rubber will give you a shoe which is twice as good as new. I am still using the Boreal Aces I bought in 1997. I have resoled them three times, but hay, they have lasted 8 years with at least 5 years of heavy use. The second resole included replacing the rand. Finding a cobbler skilled enough to repair the rand makes a difference.

When I lived in California I used the Rubber Room in Bishop, but my last couple resoles have been done at local cobblers using 5.10 rubber I bought at MEC. Results with local cobblers have been mixed and I would not trust them to do a proper repair on the rand. This might be why I have had poor luck with resoling slippers, since on a slipper the rand wares out as fast as the sole there is no point in replacing one without the other.

The Teth
The Teth

Postby martha » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:29 pm

mitchleblanc wrote:
martha wrote:It works out to about half the price of a pair of new shoes.

Yeah, because they last half as long as new pair of shoes, but are *not* just as good. Screw it man, buy a new pair.

I usually get about 6 months of hard wear out of a pair of shoes. The last ones I had resoled I got at least a year, and the shoes upper actually blew before the resole gave out. That pair was 5.10 anasazi Velcros.

This pair is the 5.10 Sapphire womans shoe. i was just going to get a new pair, but these ones are all stretched and comfy and since my feet are only going to swell with this bun in the oven I figured that I would get at least another 6 months- year out of these shoes if they had new rubber. :D

martha

Halifax??

Postby Lisa-the-NP » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:58 pm

Not sure what the guy is like, but I think the "cobbler" at the Barrington Market Superstore in Halifax repairs climbing shoes. . . if you know what you are looking for check him out - a lot cheaper than shipping them to Van I'm sure, plus if we could get someone on the East Coast used to resole-ing climbing shoes we'd be laughing.
the difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination - tommy lesorda
Lisa-the-NP

Postby Scooter » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:14 pm

ive been to him before about a year and a half ago. i wasnt too impressed with his work. it was very bulgy and clunky. not worth the 50$ he charged.
Scooter

Re: Halifax??

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:21 pm

Lisa-the-NP wrote:Not sure what the guy is like, but I think the "cobbler" at the Barrington Market Superstore in Halifax repairs climbing shoes. . . if you know what you are looking for check him out - a lot cheaper than shipping them to Van I'm sure, plus if we could get someone on the East Coast used to resole-ing climbing shoes we'd be laughing.

We used to get the dude in Fredericton to do them.. at first he put knobby rubber on my friend's pair of shoes.. damn, that was funny. Anyway, he got better after a while. So your plan would work for sure, just who wants to be the guinea pig? haha.
mitchleblanc

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:22 pm

The Teth wrote:If the shoes happen to be made by Boreal then resoling it with 5.10 rubber will give you a shoe which is twice as good as new. I am still using the Boreal Aces I bought in 1997.

True.. but you shouldn't be wearing lace up shoes! :P
mitchleblanc

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:24 pm

Scooter wrote:man i need to save all the money i can
its definately worth it

Well, just go out and buy a pair of "rock pillars" or whatever they're called, with a 1.5 cm rubber sole and a steel shank inside it, and you'll be wearing them for 10 years.

You get what you pay for, so if you crap, buy it for cheap. Or if you want a real shoe that is gonna actually work, bite the bullet and go out and buy a new pair of 5.10s.
mitchleblanc

Postby vbpad » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:31 am

yeah i've been using my 5.10's for almost 5 years now not too much sign of wear on them yet
vbpad

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:37 am

vbpad wrote:yeah i've been using my 5.10's for almost 5 years now not too much sign of wear on them yet

You're obviously not climbing enough. A regular climber probably goes through two pairs or so a year.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:28 am

...but if you only climb 2-3times a year...

vbpad wrote:yeah i've been using my 5.10's for almost 5 years now not too much sign of wear on them yet
Andrew

Postby martha » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:34 am

Andrew wrote:...but if you only climb 2-3times a year...

then can you really call yourself a 'climber'? or are you just someone who 'climbs'?

Cause I ocassionally go for a run. But I wouldn't call myself a 'runner' cause I don't go regularily. But I am someone who 'runs'.

anyhooo...

back to the resole....

do the Quick Cobbler. You won't be disappointed.

martha

Postby martha » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:36 am

Fred wrote: A regular climber probably goes through two pairs or so a year.

like Fred said...

martha

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:44 am

Andrew wrote:...but if you only climb 2-3times a year...

well if you only climb 2 or 3 times a year then your shoes will likely last 10+ years so I doubt you'll worry about resoles which is what this thread is about. If you only climb 2 or 3 times a year you are probably not a gym climber which is where 99% of your shoe wear goes. A pair of shoes that only touches rock twice a year will go out of fasion or stink up before the rubber goes on them. By then your slippers will be out of fasion like high tops are now. Thus, do you really want to resole?
Last edited by Fred on Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby vbpad » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:45 am

fine well in the first 2 years of the shoes life i was out every weekend and 3 times a week at the gym
i know i don't get out often but i'm just saying the 5.10's are a good sole
sorry for the bit off topic now back to our regular scheduled program
mitchleblanc wrote:So your plan would work for sure, just who wants to be the guinea pig? haha.

i agree we should find someone to learn how to resole shoes here in the maritimes
vbpad

Postby vbpad » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:47 am

but now that i'm out of school the plan to climb a couple times a week is in full swing also i've been in the unb gym almost full time so in the future i will be looking into this.
vbpad

Aces for Teth

Postby chameleon » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:48 am

Hey Teth,

I noticed you're a Boreal Aces fan. I hate them myself, but I have a pair I bought a few years ago which I had on maybe three times. They're in great condition but are too small for me. If you happen to have small feet I'll sell them to you for the price of re-sole. Let me know.

Sean C.
chameleon

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:50 pm

Yes. It will be pretty awesome for you to get out more often now. You're a good partner. Welsford needs more good partners... and so do I :)

vbpad wrote:but now that i'm out of school the plan to climb a couple times a week is in full swing also i've been in the unb gym almost full time so in the future i will be looking into this.
Andrew

Postby The Teth » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:56 pm

chameleon, my size 8 Aces still have another few years in them. My size 8.5 Aces don’t get much use and will probably last longer. The new blue Aces are crap. Are your Aces the old red ones or the new blue ones? What size? The red ones have been out of production for several years now. They made great trad climbing shoes. (Once resoled with thick 5.10 rubber.)

I use 5.10 moccasins for bouldering. I consider these to be disposable. (Maybe if the rand was done too, it might be worth resoling them, but you would need a good cobbler.) I think I have four pair right now in various stages of ware.

I had better luck with the cobbler at the Halifax Shopping centre, but everyone else was taking their shoes to the Supper Store by the train station, so I started using them. I am not sure if the same guy is still working at the Halifax Shopping centre. He waited until I came in to pick up the shoes before he trimmed them, so that he would get it right. It is better to deal with someone who knows that they do not know what they are doing, because those are the guys who are willing to learn.

Teth
The Teth

filet o sole

Postby seanT » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:31 am

Ground Zero offers custom resoles using 5.10 stealth rubber or vibram xsv what ever you prefer. Turnaround time is about 2 weeks. Cost is $50 approx depending on how bad the damage is. Check it out!
SeanT
seanT

Postby chameleon » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:03 am

Teth,

The aces are the red ones and I think the size would be closer to 6.5 or 7.0 - I'd have to check it out later.

Any others looking for Aces.

Sean C
chameleon

Return to Nova Scotia